Such a thing possible? Newbie wannabe question

Is there such a gas plane/helo that can do the following?

1) Can learn to fly quickly for someone with no experience 2) Can be flown out of line of sight with an on board camera 3) Can take video of the ground, beamed to home station 4) Short landing/takeoff

Live out in the boonies. This would be used to catch folks dumping garbage, illegal hunting, aerial shots of the house.

Such a thing possible?

Reply to
Vick12

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:12:27 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Vick12 instead replied:

Yes. Lots of them. They're referred to as trainers or training planes and are more stable and easy to fly than aerobatic planes. The Senior Telemaster has been used this way for a long time. Mostly as sport but sometimes for serious long range observations.

The transmitter range is the limit, not the line of sight. People have flown behind silos, buildings, trees and such without losing control other than not seeing their plane. This isn't a good practice and those who have done it have largely done it by accident, not design.

This can be done but for use in flying the plane, there's simply too much delay between what the plane sees to send back and the real time position of the plane in space. Even a few milliseconds of delay is critical in some circumstances - particularly takeoff and landing.

They're models and as long as they stay light enough they can take off on unrealistically short runways. Most fliers do a long takeoff for the effect rather than for need. It looks nicer.

It is but I suggest a set of IP Cameras and a cell phone that is Internet ready. You can run up to 16 cameras in a wired or wireless (or both) mode and send all the images to software that comes with the IP Video hub. Read up on it. You'll find that you can even add a DVR to the system to record up to 30 days of 16 cameras on a 20Gbyte hard drive. Most DVRs come with 360Gbyte or larger drives these days. That would be nearly a year of 24/7 coverage without wasting fuel or your time. Or, you can set up a dedicated PC to do the job. Even an older, slow Pentium III will do the job.

Flying a plane that remains airborn for about 20 minutes then needs refueling, recharging of batteries and the full focus of your attention wastes a lot of your time. Security cameras with motion sensor imaging will be your little slaves for years of faithful work while you read a book, watch a movie or play with your kids. If you use an IP Camera, your cell phone can be a very remote viewer when you need it.

Your idea is just a bit impractical but I must say intriguing. It sounds like heaps of fun.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

------------------

Nice answer.

What is an IP Camera? TIA

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:43:05 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Ed Cregger" instead replied:

Ed,

An IP Camera is an Internet Protocol Camera. It's a marvelous device that works with a tiny web server inside allowing the camera to present a continuous image to a web site so you can simply dial it up with your Internet ready cell phone and watch the images on your phone. At one time they were thousands of dollars each but these days each camera is under $100.00 for indoor models and around $300.00 for weatherproof models. Indoor model:

model:
The least expensive means of presenting many cameras at once is to use a Video IP Server DVR.
The nice part about IP Cameras is that they hook up directly to your Internet connection and don't rely on your PC to work. You can turn off your computer and as long as your broadband is working, your camera is working too.

This site offers a good explanation with diagrams. This is a mid range system priced at about $800.00 for the server. I just bought a new four input IP Server last week from a local shop for under $100.00. Prices are coming down quickly.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:43:05 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Ed Cregger" instead replied:

By the way, here's an example of what an IP camera would present to you. Obviously, your home or business would be the image rather than this example of someone else's business.

Check out that pretty girl near the copy machine! Is she hot or what? Great legs! And that receptionist . . . she makes me . . .

Never mind. Go back to what you were doing. Nothing to see here people. Just move along now.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Yep. Its called a flight simulator.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Note that you will need to trail an out of sight long 100baseT cable to be able to get anything out of it though..:-)

Do I detect a commercial interest here? None of this, whilst interesting, is in anyways suitable for in-plane photography.

As long as your plane can lift the weight and has a 12v hash free supply on board, and already has a broadband IP link, you are smiling..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| None of this, whilst interesting, is in anyways suitable for in-plane | photography.

You think? For a while there, I thought your sarcasm detector was functioning normally, but now I'm not so sure.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:25:18 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:

Not at all. I recently set up a system for use in police surveillance. Familiarity with the questioner's needs was my motivation. There are wireless versions using 802.11G or analog RF

2.4Ghz. Of course, you already know this.

His application to monitor his home and surrounds would require him to fly a plane for a while, land, refuel, fly a plane for a while, land, refuel and so forth. His question is legitimate and on-topic but impractical. Flying a plane for 16 hours of daylight to watch his property would waste his time. A security camera system, while off topic for this newsgroup, is a good answer to his needs.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

You got me there?

I assumed the poster ws in fact answering plainly, not being sarcastic.

That stuff all requires a hard wired ethernet connection, and there ain't no ethernet plugs in the sky.

Youldbe better off with a G3 phone stick in the plane.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:55:44 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:

It wasn't a suggestion to put those into an airplane but to use them instead of flying a plane around all day to catch a vandal or two.

Leave the model flying for pleasure. Use the cameras for security. If you need more than this for an explanation, then you're beyond hope. Seriously.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

SNIP

Good answer, I kept quiet to see the various answers. Even an autonomous solar powered motor glider can't stay up forever and needs telemetry besides to camera view. If he doesn't want the camera's I'd suggest a Caucasian Ovtchark or in a warm weather environment a Fila. Both breeds are loving to family AND take the job of watching/protecting family and property seriously. The CO advantage is you only have to get obedience training, they are hardwired for doing their job. I'd also suggest that if one gets these breeds you buy the book "Give you dog a bone" it works and surprising enough helps large breed dogs to not get dysplasia.

I consider the last one the better as instead of a dry previously published tripe it has much owner input.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

It takes skill to fly a plane. It's going to take lots of science and money to fly it out of sight and back. That being said, whay you have described is a lighter than air air ship. Bimp if you will. Many problems with this but I think this is as close as your going to get to what you want. I like Ray's idea. There's more than one way to skin a cat mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

am totally confused.

The guy wants a camera in a plane. You suggest a bunch of cameras that won't fit in planes, and then say 'use the cameras for security, forget the plane' ?

How is that an answer?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can someone explain to me how a security cameras system has anything to do with the above?

Where,in that posting, does the purpose of having the camera get stated as surveillance?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:51:19 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:

What a shocker!

I suggested that he give it up as being impractical. His need, according to his post, was for security for his home and property. I suggested other cameras, not for his plane, but for his property.

It's a practical answer. Read his question again. He wanted to know if something was possible and listed a bunch of questions. After answering each of them, I moved on to his statement of purpose for wanting such a plane. At that point, I switched gears offering him a better solution to his security issue than flying a plane around for

16 hours a day just to catch someone dumping rubbish on his property. Are you just pretending to be this obtuse, Jim?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:14:23 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "MJKolodziej" instead replied:

And I love the blimp idea! That's a real ripper and far tamer than trying to fly and aim a plane at intruders. It's still not practical as it only covers a limited area in real time but the concept is one that would work.

I was thinking a jet with curare tipped darts would be a good idea. Not a full dose. Just enough to do dental work.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:53:01 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and The Natural Philosopher instead replied:

Psst! Right here, Jim. See?

Sure. Read very slowly. Scroll back and read above the line I wrote that starts with "Psst!"

Go on. You can do it, Jim.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Go to YouTube and look for videos posted by VRFlyer. He has an EasyStar set up with a camera and Virtual Reality goggles that receive video from a camera in the plane. His VR goggles have a gyro in them and are hooked to his TX so when he moves his head the pan and tilt head that holds the camera moves in the same direction. Pretty slick, and outrageous videos...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I wonder how much money it would cost to duplicate his set up?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger