A question for the guys that have a handle on electric flight....

I'm a glow guy for sure, but have two electrics that I enjoy very much: a Zagi and an ElectroStreak.

I'm interested in upgrading the ElectroStreak. I'm currently flying it with a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motor and 1900SCR NiCad packs. The speed control is a German unit that I can't recall the brand of... something-tronic, I think.

Can I buy a brushless motor and speed control that will be close to a "drop-in" installation and use my 1900SCR packs? Or would a Cobalt motor be a more reasonable or easier choice? Could I use my existing speed control with one?

I'm off to the WRAM show tomorrow and will be prepared to whip out the plastic and make a purchase.

Thanks for any information, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

Oops... forgot some critical info: the packs are seven cells.

Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Bob

If you have the money go for brushless. You need a new esc. Hacker is the best. shulze has also good stuff. spend between 300 and 500 $ buy some GP 3300 Cells. (7 * 6$ ) Check your charger, not all chargers are suited for NiMh cell . ifso stay with 2400mAh Nicd cells.

If money is a problem just go for 3300cells and a hotter motor.

TM

Reply to
dingo

If you don't have the money,LIPO cells wiill net you about 70% increase in power to weight, and give longer flight times for less money than a brushless, which will net you 25-40% increase in power to weight, and probably no increase in flight times.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Check out the AstroFlight.com website -- sticking with what you hve for an ESC, an ASTRO Cobalt 05 is close to the mark (going into my next eStreak). If you want to go brushless, I'm not sure but a quick run of MotoCalc will give you the motor that works for waht you ahve ($$$$ thought)

Reply to
Byrocat

Thanks very much for the tips!

Bob Scott