Engines ...

Hi All,

I have not flown any of my planes for the last 8 years. I got them out today with the idea of getting them up and running again. Unfortunately all of the engines are frozen up (the caster oil has gummed up). I have disassembled the engines and now I am looking for some advice on how to clear this oil residue off and get them cleaned up and ready for action ! It is tough stuff to remove. Is there an easy way to get it off. I have 6 engines to clean up.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
......... :-))

A friend recently ungummed an engine with some petrol/gasoline. He used just enough to loosen things up and then cleaned it all out and started the engines, thus minimising the time the fuel was in there.

Reply to
The Raven

Soak the engines in hot automobile anti-freeze. They will look like new when you are finished. Naturally, you will remove all plastic and rubber parts before imersion.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

How hot should it be ?

disassembled

Reply to
......... :-))

Borrow your wife's hair dryer (or your heat gun) and heat the motor for a couple of minutes. The castor will soften and enable you to easily turn the motor over and flush the softened castor out with some clean pure methanol or light oil such as auto transmission oil (methanol fuel in need) but not petrol.. Remove needle valve and carb rotor (use care as some have a spring inside carb body and you do not want to drop that inside crank shaft) and clean needle and inside rotor etc with cotton bud and more oil. Refer to the engine section on my web page for more info for removing baked on oil.

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Used crock pot on high hot.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Make CERTAIN you do this OUTSIDE THE HOUSE, and afterwards, NEVER USE THIS CROCKPOT FOR FOOD AGAIN. The residue that will get into the pores of the crockpot will contaminate/poison anything else cooked in it.

While I have not used this method, everything I have seen about it says to leave the parts in the crockpot overnite. The engine/parts will come out looking like new.

Campy

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I used to soak old engines in ragular fuel over night. That usually loosened them up quite nicely. Then you don't have to worry about incompatible chemicals.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have poured alcohol in them and it softens the goo. mk

Reply to
MK

check the local auto supply stores for Tal-StripII Aircraft coating remover. This stuff does not attack aluminum. Spray it on and let it sit for awhile and then take a brass brush or stiff toothbrush and scrub. The stuff is non-caustic but wear some gloves anyway. The only down side is that you have to rinse it off with water or solvent. Since I had my motors disassembled I used water and then completely dried the parts and then oiled everything with machine oit. A can cost about $6 and should do 3-6 motors.

Reply to
sky

I'll have to give this stuff a try, Sky. Thanks.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger