Gaskets

What is the best material for making gaskets for engine exhausts etc? Jimmie.

Reply to
JH

I use high temp rtv silicone. Clean both halves with alcohol. Put a bead on one side, semi tighten it until the silicone is contacting both sides. Let it sit overnight, then tighten all the way. I have never had one of these joints leak.

John VB

Reply to
JJVB

In the past I've used plain old Manila folders to cut a "gasket" to shape, then gave each side a light coat of Perma-Tex spray on copper gasket sealant. (Same stuff as is used to head gaskets on autos) Works like a charm.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Thanks for the information guys. Jimmie.

Reply to
JH

"BEST"? That may be debatable, but a very good one is Pop can material. Cut a piece with scissors, press it tightly against outlines -- finger pressure will do -- then cut the inside portion out, with an xacto type knife. Once the proper place is selected with screw holes, etc., it can be easily trimmed to suit your cosmetics.

Cheap, readily available and easy to use. Definitely my favorite.

Reply to
cainhd