glitches or faulty rx

HI i just bought a jr R700 rx and when I checked it by connecting it t

a 4.8v battery pack and then connecting it to the servos on my heli i glitched like crazy. I am new to rc and want to know if this is norma or do I have a faulty rx. Turning on the tx seemed to settle things down but still was a littl glitchy. Touching the areial on the rx with the transmitter off als made the servos glitch like mad. Now I cant see how I can fly it like this without causing it to crash How do I stop the glitches. Is there a way I can tell if its the r thats faulty

-- topgun7

----------------------------------------------------------------------- topgun77's Profile:

this thread:

topgun77

Transmitter on first off last always. refer section "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ", sub section "Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception"on my web page. More information on thread at RC Groups post: "Discussion - Can't banish the glitching "

Regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby Model & RC FAQ Web Links

A.T.

"A.T." wrote

Also, Touching the antenna will make about anything glitch. So will metal on metal vibration near the receiver.

Reply to
Morgans

So just to clarify, is it normal for the servos to glitch like crazy i

your transmitter is not turned on but then work fine once the transmitter i on

-- topgun7

----------------------------------------------------------------------- topgun77's Profile:

this thread:

topgun77

Exactly.

When you have a receiver on, and not your transmitter, the receiver is trying to pick up any stray signal that might be a command. All it is is a bunch of random noise, so the servos will act as they are being given random signals.

If you get unlucky, all the random noise will drive a servo in one direction, and it will try to keep going when it hits the stop inside the servo. Then you can burn out the motor, strip a gear, strip the stop, or damage the moveable surfaces and pushrods and hinges in your model.

That is why you should turn on the transmitter, then the receiver, and when you are ready to quit, turn off the receiver, then the transmitter.

Doing it in this order assures that the transmitter will drown out the random noise, and the receiver will get only stationary, centered, non damaging signals-not the random stuff in the air.

This explanation is slightly simplified, but the concept is right on.

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

"Ed Forsythe" wrote

Thanks! I are a teacher, buy the weigh!

I work better with the concepts. I just give the receiver something to do its job with, until it is done doing its job.

Reply to
Morgans

Most RXs will glitch til you turn on the TX. Some of the modern RXs feature DSP (Digital Signal Proccessing), they'll sit rock steady until they detect a clean signal....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Just wanted to say thankyou for all the replies. I have learnt alo

here. I have just about got my Heli set up. Can I ask how do you guys secure your compents i.e rx and esc to th Heli. Do you just use cable ties? Thats what I have used but th componts tend to wiggle around. Is double sided tape ok to use on th esc or will it melt with the heat from the heat sink

-- topgun7

----------------------------------------------------------------------- topgun77's Profile:

this thread:

topgun77

| If you get unlucky, all the random noise will drive a servo in one | direction, and it will try to keep going when it hits the stop inside the | servo. Then you can burn out the motor, strip a gear, strip the stop, or | damage the moveable surfaces and pushrods and hinges in your model.

If you get *really* unlucky, and have an electric plane, the motor will spring to life and the plane will fly, full speed, at your face.

Many ESCs take some steps to keep this from happening, but they're not perfect -- the right random noise can look enough like your arming sequence that the ESC will start up anyways.

PCM RXs (and the new spread spectrum ones) in general prevent these problems entirely, but it's still best to get in the habit of turning the TX on first and turning it off last. The DSP PPM receivers will reject a lot of the noise, and so your servos will glitch a lot less, but some glitches can still get through and so you still risk damage.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

"Doug McLaren" wrote

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that! I don't fly electric, so I personally don't have to sweat that one.

Now, if we could get a glow engine to start up on its own by simply not turning on the TX first, I might consider trying that trick!

Reply to
Morgans