Glueing the tailplane off centre ERROR....

I have recently been building a little electric RC Chilli aircraft bought from the Hobby-Lobby website.

Basically when glueing in the tailplane I have somehow managed to glue it 3 mm off centre(the glue was too damn quick for me). The rear wing is Square to the fuselage. Am I going to have to try and cut it off and re postion or will it make any difference if I leave it as is. (Its very delicate). Advice would be most welcomed.

Cheers Jonnie

Reply to
Jonnie Chapman

3mm is less than 1/8". As long as the tail is square with the wing, I think you'll be ok. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver

I think Dr.1 is right.

Leave it for now, finish everything else, test fly it. THEN if you don't like how it handles, start in with the cut and paste stuff.

Don't let anybody get near your empennage with a micrometer. Anybody tries, give 'em a good swift kick in their own tail feathers.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

This is good news!!! I will leave it... but just one more query, how will it handle? if it is not correct, My flying skills are not the best and might find it hard to differentiate between a broken plane or a bad pilot..

Thanks for your help though

Cheers JOnnie

Reply to
Jonnie Chapman

If I did that I would be pretty pleased with myself. Gee, only 3 mm off!

Reply to
John R. Agnew

Heck, even if the surface ISN'T perfectly square with the wing, you'll be okay. I have a plane with the tail surfaces canted a good 5 degrees off to the right, and it flies perfectly. It's a coroplast fuselage that decided it wanted to have a twist in it from front to back... Didn't seem to matter much.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Some of the SPAD designs call for the vertical stab to be bolted onto one side of the square "fuse" which means that the stab is about 5/8" off of center from the get-to. And they fly fine. Quit 'yer frettin'. Go fly.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I can't predict handling from reading specs.

I haven't flown the plane in question.

If you find it twisting toward the longer stab, that might be a reason to cut and re-glue.

If it flies about like other things you've flown, then it's a reason not to bother fixing it.

I've flown a lot of crooked planes, my own and others. Of course they're not suitable for pattern competition, but it's amazing how well they fly in spite of the visible kinks in construction.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

They do tend to screw out of loops a bit tho.

But if you are a crap pliot, you won't notice anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmmmm...

Ah... if not covered yet... add 3 mm to the short side? (or sand 3 mm of the long side?) :)

If not in a scale contest...grin a lot and fly it.. :(

Dave

Reply to
dgamblin