Glueing Plastic.

Hi All,

I would like to glue some plastic, that type that is used in Bachmann tension lock couplings.

I have 2 Bachmann Standard 4MTs and 1 Standard 5MT and they all have a different height rear NEM coupling box to those at the front. The couplings at the rear have an offset tension lock, and as Kadee do not make an offset NEM coupler and I do not want to butcher the locos I have decided to make my own.

I have discovered that if a No20 NEM coupler is glued to the underside of a standard Bachmann NEM coupler (with the tension lock head cut off) it is the correct height for coupling/uncoupling.

As the plastic used for these fittings is different to the polystyrene used in kits I suspect the glue/solvent will not work. Suggestions for what will work please.

Eddie.

Reply to
Eddie Bray

"Eddie Bray" wrote

I think you're going to struggle Eddie, but you might get away with Evostick impact adhesive, or possibly some types of superglue, but I can't think of a solvent-type adhesive that will work on that type of engineering plastic.

Guess you'll just have to experiment.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

work. Suggestions for what will

This is exactly what I have done with my Bachman's and Kadees. I have used a super glue called Zap a Cap, along with an accelerator, leave them overnight and have had no problems at all. Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Hi you could try super glue, or two part epoxy, or impact adhesive, or maybe butanone.

You will more than likely have to experiment with what suits you best.

Kindest regards

Simon

Reply to
Simon Judd

Thanks for the info Rob, I will look out for the Zap A Cap.

Seems my idea was not as daft as I thought then.

In case you are interested, I read that a No 19 Kadee fitted into a class 08 would work but would be a little low, so would require a little bending upward to the correct height. Whilst trying this, I came up with a better method which is the correct height and works perfectly.

  1. Remove tension lock from NEM socket.
  2. Gently prise NEM socket from chassis of loco.
  3. Insert legs of No20 Kadee into triangular hole in chassis left by removal of NEM socket.
  4. Re-insert NEM socket over the No20 Kadee to hold it in place.

Works brilliantly, will have some pictures later on the website showing the different steps.

Eddie.

Reply to
Eddie Bray

On 22/01/2006 16:50, Eddie Bray said,

I would actually keep a look-out for Zap A Gap, if I were you ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Eddie,

The 'problem' with the plastic used by Bachmann is that it is very smooth, very hard and is resistant to most glues including solvents. I have fitted 'EzMates' to the Bachmann couplers with the bar cut off. What I have found is that Superglue works provided you rough up the surfaces to be bonded with a file prior to glueing. I have had no problems with this. After the Superglue has dried, I usually add some Evostick for good measure.

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

Might possibly be worth asking them what kind of plastic it is - assuming they know and are prepared to tell you a call to the local University chemistry department should then solve the problem.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

wrote

Pinning also can help.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I believe Loctite superglue 406 is designed for difficult plastics and it has been suggested in the past that it works on some of the fittings (brake rods etc) that are included with models. I've not tried it myself, but I should try it.

Cheers

Edmund

Reply to
Edmund Good

I've used a product called, Hard Plastic Adhesive, made by Bison Kit. (Try

) or perhaps B&Q.

I was experimenting with some old LGB 4-wheel passenger cars, wanting to produce some "free-lance" bogie cars. Initally I used cyano / superglue but that set too quickly, making it difficult to align the 2 body halves. ( (These are quite bulky, compare to OO etc.!) I now have a small fleet of bogie vehicles, which are obviously LGB products, but have sent a few people back to their catalogues trying ti find model no's & pix! The Bison Kit adhesive works well & has survived several seasons of UK weather without any problem. (Outdoor Railway.)

HTH, David C.

Reply to
David C.