What colour for the baseboard

Hello, Am new to modelling and wonder if anyone can suggest what colour to paint the baseboard as an undercoat.

Have just been to Pendon and grey seems to be the underlying colour on the layouts.

David

Reply to
Speedbird

Rob Kemp

"Speedbird" wrote

Pink seems quite fashionable. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I painted mine earth brown. No idea why, it just seemed a good idea at the time, and seems to be OK now.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Pink!? :$

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

An old tip, but one that is often overlooked, when mixing plaster for hills etc, add some brown poster paint to mix. Otherwise when you drill holes to fix telegraph poles, fences etc all the white powder makes it look like you're drilling into chalk... that's unless you want to model a cutting through a chalk hill :-)

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

The correct undercoat for blood :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

How did you guess? :-) That's one of the main scenic parts of my fictional Dorset-set model railway!

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

There was a smiley after my comment! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I know ;-) I was just joshing...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Thanks for the sensible suggestions

David

Reply to
Speedbird

Grey is probably used in most cases, as i recall it was easy to find in various shops too, grey undercoat that is.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Speedbird" wrote

You don't like the idea of 'pink' then? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Piemanlarger" wrote

Matt black (blackboard paint) weathers to a nice very dark grey - not dissimilar to ash ballast.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Here in NZ much of the underlying soil and rock is grey. The contrast is considerable when travelling in Australia as the soil is red/red oxide!

Mix the two together and you'd have a pinky grey colour! :-)

Regards, Greg.P. NZ.

Reply to
Greg Procter