Trouble re-glueing wing

I have a 1/48 Hawker Typhoon that was damaged, in spite of my best efforts, by movers, such that the right wing won't stay in place. I had it already built and painted and, while I make no claims to be a great model painter (I'd never try ejection handles and such as I've seen others do), this was about the best work I've ever done. So I'd like to restore it to its proper built condition but I cannot seem to make the wing re-attach. I had good glue (not Tester's or equally pathetic stuff) but not Cyno-acrylate either) when I put it together, and I still have some but that doesn't seem to hold. I've also tried Crazy Glue but it didn't seem to hold either. I'm guessing that paint from around the seam is melting into the seam and preventing the glue from fusing the wing and the fuselage but I could be wrong. What can I do? Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Litwak

clean up the join, make sure no paint. and yea, use tlc or tube glue. it's mad for PLASTIC. seriously, use it. put a little glue spread on all the surfaces to join, wair 2-3 minutes and hold together for 5-8 minutes. or clamp carefully if you can. the trick is clean surfaces for the join. let us know how it works, m'kay?

Reply to
someone

I had a favorite A-4 Skyhawk model that got dropped on the floor during a move. I thought it was a hopeless cause after I gathered all the pieces after the " crash ". It broke in all the worst possible places. Landing gear ... refueling probe ... canopy etc. However ... I patched it up and it doesn't look so bad. This is what I recommend and these are items you will need:

sand paper super glue ( CA ) super glue accelerator ( the type in the spray bottle )

Clean up the areas to be reattached best you can with the sandpaper. Dab some CA on the parts that need to be reattached and ( quickly ) spray a bit of accelerator.

The thing I like about CA is that after a while it will dry hard as a rock ... but you can still work with it a little to align the parts ... and THEN hit it with accelerator.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

I assume you are trying to repair it without repainting, hence not removing old paint. Try epoxy- it will not melt paint, and will also fill gaps that CA will not.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

At 1/48th, I'd drill and pin. The broken joint will never be a strong as the original, and you need something to take the sheer loads.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

how about adding a spar to the wing and fuselage so there is more for the glue to hold onto.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I spray a little accelerator on on a table surface, then dip a toothpick into the accelerator and touch the wet toothpick to the CA. Prevents all that accelerator spray getting on the model.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I guess there is hope, but some work to do too.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Litwak