Good Bye NG

I agree completely. It's a perfect newbie provider, but beyond that is just plain gawdy and bloated. Nearly every last bit of worthwhile content on AOL is available elsewhere, without all the fluff. Honestly, though, AOL was my first provider, too. I finally got my mom weaned off of AOL after 3 years. WOOHOO!!

FWIW, Kev

Reply to
KevinM

No No No don't you be going anywhere there's way to many options out there, as have been pointed out by other's. Heck ya might come across another one of those hard to get along with Super Tigers that I can help you out of again. I might even need your expert help removing my foot from my mouth. See far to many reason to find another way.

tombo46 used to was tomb46

we got to get together one of these times and fly that box of wood.

Reply to
tomb046

If AOLs GUI won't support Usenet, use Outlook Express. Yes, I know all the arguments against it but it should still work with AOL as the front end. If you don't like OE, try Mozilla'z Firebird email. That's what I use for both email and Usenet. You can set both up for just the newsreader as well if you are absolutely locked into AOL.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

So don't use their stupid GUI. Get another newsreader like Thunderbird or MT-Newswatcher (for Mac).

Did AOL say they were going to stop providing NNTP access? Every ISP provides NNTP access- you just have to use your own (often free) software.

If all they are stopping is their "AOL GUI" for usenet access, no problem. Just find out the name of the news server they provide and enter it into your own software.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

Or just use Netscape for everything. The newsreader is running on the same code base as Firebird, but Netscape has made a few improvements.

Reply to
C G

Actually, there is an alarming trend for ISPs to out-source nntp access. Sometimes the ISP provides a bare-bones account on the out-sourced server (this is what Comcast is doing with Giganews), sometimes you have to find your own news source and pay whatever rates apply.

Note that there are free news servers out there. Most have some kind of constraints but for text-only access they're workable...

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

Just go to dejanews.com I think it is and work from there.

Reply to
Dana Hughes

I have been on AOL for years, how many of you have seen the newsgroups through AOL? I have used different news readers and have always came back to AOL. AOL has a small, UNCLUTTERED window in which to view all groups you have set up. Click on one and all the post come up that you have not read. That window lists all current posts and how many replies are there with each one. Pick the ones you want to read and reply to, simple. The entire Goggle network is available through AOL. as well as a few others. To me it was/is simple efficient and clean. I also had very little trouble with it over the years. That is why I liked it so. Since their introduction of their new spam filter (and this has really surprised me) Spam has all but completely disappeared. I recieve perhaps

3 a day that are put into a mail folder to look at. Then I tell the filter whether or not it is spam. It has taken a few weeks for the filter to learn, but it has worked surprisingly well. rick markel

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

I switched to Agent years ago and began to buy my news service through newsguy. It took me a little while to adjust to both of them, but I'm about as happy as I know how to get now.

AOL can't stop you from doing something similar.

YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Get a clue! You don't need AOL's window for any of that. You can get AOL's newsgroups through any newsreader and there are many good ones out there that have all the features you mention and more.

Besides, your pretty AOL window is going away so it's time to either leave usenet or learn how the rest of the world does it.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

Hi, Yes. The interbulletin.com solution works just fine. Seach the group on the left. Questions are on the top and answers on the botton of the window. Again maybe not as pretty but it is just as fast as AOL.

Reply to
Aeromodler

newsgroups

efficient and

Reply to
aileron37

newsgroups

efficient and

OK see, here`s my problem M M, If I need gas and it`s 9pm I have to drive 35 miles to get it. Some of us really do live in the boonies. I have tried several other ISP`s and unless I want to pay long distance charges I cannot use them (which will hopefully change in the future)at the same price as others. I don`t care if they advertise that they do indeed cover an area. AOL works for us with no extra phone charges. I know there are other news readers out there I simply liked AOL for what it do for me. People bitch about AOL, well AOL is a program plain and simple. Go into your computer and change what you do not like about it. I have had Earthlink, People PC, and the local ISP (which is not around anymore) and AOL has always worked for us without a problem. Simple as that. rick markel

Reply to
aileron37

You can still access newsgroups after AOL drops them.

Use google groups. I don't like their interface.

Or a newsreader plus a paid news provider (I do that).

Or a newsreader plugged into a free news provider (there are a few, I believe).

AOL gives you access to the internet. From their, you can still get newsgroups if you want to.

If not, nice talking with you.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I get the same thing with Netscape without all of the AOL overhead.

Reply to
C G

You STILL don't get it Rick!

You can KEEP AOL! You don't need another ISP!

You have 3 choices to stay on AOL and usenet:

- Go to groups.google.com and sign up for a usenet account

- Find a free news server (try and then get software like Mozilla Thunderbird or Agent or others to access it.

- Pay for usenet access through Giganews or other service. This is not ISP access, just newsgroup access, then get the software above.

The first is probably clunky to use but I haven't tried it. The second is not too reliable but often quite workable, the third will get you everything reliably but it costs.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

Not only did AOL provide the best news reader but they have local access numbers everywhere i travel, including overseas. So MM [motormouth?] please clue me in on where i can find a cheaper, better isp with local access numbers anywhere in the world, oh, and a simple unbloated newsgroup reader too, and i will be happy to try them out. On the other hand if all you know about is what's available in the run down ghetto in the middle of a big city then go back to your crack pipe. remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

I get the same thing with Outlook Express.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Sounds like AOL must have modeled their newsreader after Forte Agent. With Agent, you can set up either a 3 windows view, or a single window for your groups, message list and then the specific message. I prefer the single window view myself. The windows can be resized, moved, whatever your preference. You can show all messages, or just unread messages, it also shows the number of replies per thread and indents the followup messages in outline form, so it's easy to follow a discussion.

See:

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman