Good Bye NG

Email and Usenet access is the fatal flaw in AOL. AOL email is web based and so is their Usenet access. When you leave you lose all your email (Usenet messages/NG subscriptions) just as if you had lost a free email account. Email in Outlook is stored on your hard drive. As has been suggested by others in this thread you should use Outlook for your news reader. Ask AOL for the name of their news server and configure Outlook to receive Usenet if possible or find a real ISP. Note AOL is *not* an ISP, they are a content service that allows a (poor/slow) connection to the internet. Signed, me

Reply to
me

Subject: Re: Good Bye NG From: "me" anonymous@_.com Date: 2/1/2005 11:22 AM US Eastern Standard Time Message-id: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com>

FU Sign, me

I noticed that you managed to type more than two letters as a response to another post so i assume your keyboard isn't broken. If you don't have an answer to my question then why not just say so instead of cursing?

BTW, I have no reason to keep email on my hard drive AS email. If there's something i really need to keep i do. Otherwise it's just taking up space on my hard drive instead my ISP's.

Outlook for a news reader? You wouldn't per chance have noticed that most security issues [did i put that nice enough?] are written with Microsoft in mind?

Poor or slow ISP? Tried Netzero lately? How about Earthlink?

Again, if you don't have a reasonable answer then don't answer. Otherwise you just let everyone know your clueless instead of keeping it to yourself.

Subject: Re: Good Bye NG From: "me" anonymous@_.com Date: 2/1/2005 11:22 AM US Eastern Standard Time Message-id: Email and Usenet access is the fatal flaw in AOL. AOL email is web based and so is their Usenet access. When you leave you lose all your email (Usenet messages/NG subscriptions) just as if you had lost a free email account. Email in Outlook is stored on your hard drive. As has been suggested by others in this thread you should use Outlook for your news reader. Ask AOL for the name of their news server and configure Outlook to receive Usenet if possible or find a real ISP. Note AOL is *not* an ISP, they are a content service that allows a (poor/slow) connection to the internet. Signed, me

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

FU earned for: "On the other hand if all you know about is what's available in the run down ghetto in the middle of a big city then go back to your crack pipe."

Compose/read off line only possible on HD.

If you leave AOL you'll not only lose all your email but all email addresses, all email settings, all NG posts, all NG subscriptions and all NG settings etc etc etc. If you use Outlook (or any other proper email/Usenet client) and you change from one ISP to another you keep all of the above and can pick up where you left off in seconds.

Sending/recieving plain text only and not opening attachments negates those problems.

Those are not a problem, unless you use AOL. I (almost) never get disconnected, never get busy signals and outages are extremely rare.

AOL users define clueless. ;-) Sign, me

Reply to
me

Andrey Tarasevich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Actually, the best rides are on a motorcycle (a little OT and I know this NG doesn't discuss politics, guns, knives, narrowband versus wideband, etc.)

- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Thank you! Clueless is the nicest thing i've been called today.

Plain text email is........plain. Not interested, thanks.

As to to the other isp's i asked about, i asked for a reason. I've tried them and they fail to beat what i have now for various reasons. Otherwise i would have already switched. I may be 'clueless' but i'm also a cheap bastard.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

Why not? You're using plain text now.

I pay 9.95 monthly. What do you pay? Sign, me

Reply to
me

Again, I am cheap but i need to have what i pay for work for me. I'm not someone with the same local access number 364 days a year andwhat i have has all the bases covered that i need. AOL dropping thier newsreaded may be the straw that broke the Camels back. Time will tell remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc