(GEN) Reviewers Please Read...

Just a little request; when assembling a model and writing about the same -- the area where two parts come together -- it's called a joint, not a join. Join is a verb, joint is the noun you're looking for. Sorry but I'm feeling a little anally retentive today. ;-) Maybe it's time for a physic... Pet peeve mode *off*. Thank you for your attention.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

maybe it's from too many joints? and don't get me started on filling cracks!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Anally retentive today.....

Does that mean most days you let your ass flip and flop wherever it likes?

;-)

Reply to
Chris

My pet peeve comes up almost every day. Otherwise bright people such as acknowledged experts in the field of history, anthropology and the like along with most lay people, especially in the west, use the wrong word in describing a unit of mounted soldiers.

It's cavalry. Calvary is a hill in Israel.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

This is my pet peeve as well.

But there our things in common ends. I've only built one 1/72 kit (Mono B-36)

:-)

Reply to
Michael Stanley

Reply to
Ron

in article snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com, Ron at snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com wrote on

12/11/03 4:18 PM:

My "favorite" (makes me scream!) is using the non-word irregardless.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

My dictionaries (online and hardcopy) list "join" as both a noun and a verb.

from my AOL online dictionary entry: Main Entry: [2]join Function: noun Date: 1825

1 : JOINT 2 : UNION 2d

from my Webster's dictionary: join. n. a joining; a place of joining Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Sorry, according to my dictionaries both "joint" and "join" are correct. The use of "join" as a noun is, I suspect, more common in UK-an English than in Americanese English.

Online:

While we're at it, shall we argue about the correct pronounciation of the word "puma"?

DLF

Painted a batch of (nominally) 1/1200 scale Yalu 1894 ships today. Not exactly scale models but at least it's sort of on-topic.

Reply to
David Ferris

Or apropos to the forum, how to pronounce "decal"

Reply to
Michael Stanley

"puma" Pooo-muh "puma"

Reply to
Grandpa

Good one. The usual Americanese pronunciation, and the only one I've heard in recent years, is DEE'-kal, the 'kal' part pronounced as in the first syllable of 'California'. Wasn't until my third time living in England that I realized there were other pronunciations for the word. Near Ipswich at least the favoured form seemed to be DECK-el, as in rhymes with "sheckel".

Other forms?

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris

Grandpa, on the pronunciation of "puma":

Every place I've looked it up, both "PYOO-mah" and "POO-mah" are listed, and "PYOO-mah" is always listed first of the two.

Oddly, I'd never heard the "POO-mah" pronunciation until my mid-twenties, and then I thought it must have been a Pennsylvania thing.

I started looking it up after watching an episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 featuring the film "The Puma Man". Throughout the movie, the actors pronounce it "PYOO-mah", and throughout Tom Servo attempts to correct them with "POO-mah". Since then I've noticed that Kevin Murphy, who did the voice for Tom Servo, has a number of interesting pronunciations, which I also assumed was a Milwaukee thing.

On a slightly less off-topic note, a gamer/modeller friend of mine remains convinced that all the German WWII eight-wheeled armoured cars were called the Puma, despite all my efforts to explain (and show in books) that only the SdKfz 234/2 was the Puma. He read it on the back of a Roco Minitanks package two or three decades ago, so he insisted it must be correct.

At least it's better than arguing over politics.

DLF (currently figuring out how to paint up a Supermodel Re.2002 Ariete; not too many options it seems)

Reply to
David Ferris

Aplique'...

Reply to
Rufus

Ah, but one is but the start.

I built a 1/72 scale aircraft kit once, when my shelves were loaded with cars.

There is hope for you yet. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

That's one reason that I try to catch "Whoopie" every week.

The blond bimbo with the ghetto personna is such a hoot!

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Peeve?

one word.....nucular

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Does cement cure or dry?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

My PET peeve is people who can't spell! :):):):):)

Mr. Smith, the following is not directed at you! :)

I know I'll get trashed for this, but many regulars here, on ARC, HS, MM, etc., can't spell to save their lives!

These are just a few I've seen:

comming (coming) eather (either) alott (a lot) alot (a lot) Wensday (Wednesday)

The incorrect usage of these words:

They're - There - Their Your - You're Here - Hear

Making up words to save time:

U (you) U'r (you're)

These are but a few of the many I have seen over the years. What's scary is the fact that many here and the other discussion boards have college educations. Was the english language, its proper use, and spelling not taught where you went to school?

There, I said it. Fire away!!

DISCLAIMER** If you are from a foreign country and english is a second language to you, this does NOT apply**!!!!!!!!!

Dave Roof this Marine can spell! :):):)

Reply to
RoofDL

How about, "the little f***er tore again"

Works for me.

Craig

Reply to
Craig