(GEN) Reviewers Please Read...

I'm curious! Hasn't someone had the guts to take one of these un funded Federal mandates to the Supreme Court to check the validity of their Constitutionality?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

It's considered correct now. The rules for "who", "whom", and "that" have been changing recently, and are a good bit different than they were 100 years ago. "Whom" is probably on its way out of common usage and may even disappear in the next generation or so.

The whole pronoun thing, in the English language at least, has been under debate for a number of decades because of the sexist issue: we have the male pronouns (he, his) and female (she, her) but the official neutral form (he, his) is the same as the male pronoun so that's been a bone of contention. Lots of solutions have been suggested, but none have universal acceptance, so I expect the argument to go on for a while.

As far as when and where to use "whom" as opposed to "who", you can now safely go with "who" and leave it at that. The official rule is that "whom" is the objective or dative case, but that's *only* for formal speech and writing, so unless you're doing something formal you can safely go with "who."

Me, I'd prefer to follow whoever made the suggestion earlier and go with Shania Twain, but that probably goes without saying. Or, better yet, Nigella Lawson.

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris

I never heard of an apostrophe being used to denote a plural.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Wow! You must be *very* old!

Perhaps our next discussion should cover the proper positioning of prepositional phrases.

:-)

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Bill,

Yes, and unfortunately they were upheld.

However, I keep hoping that some pivotal state governor will have the nerve to refuse to comply, even if it means going to jail for a short while.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

I have, but I suspect it's an archaic form and on the way out. I'll have to start hunting for specific sources.

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris

Why, back in my day, we didn't have computers and newsgroups. We had to send e-mail by banging two sticks together. And we liked it that way!

Right after I finish splitting some infinitives, mixing some metaphors, dangling some participles, and of course prepositions aren't something you're supposed to end sentences with.

DLF Almost done with the Yalu ships!

Reply to
David Ferris

Great area, I love trail riding up there.

Let me speak on the behalf of all of us locals, THANKS! I'll lone you my dog, he is good about waiting for you to get set before flushing! Also if it is Senah, Coney Lake or Chookee you patronize they already signed a non-plorifiration treaty so be sure to ask before you come down this season.

I'll definately try and get up there this year, never been to one, of course the boss will make me give her my wallet... Seems ever time I get into a major city with hobby shops she has to make a deposit in my account so I can buy desiel to get home. I still haven't figured out how it happens :)

Scott

Reply to
Scott J

I think it is worse in southern states. When I lived in Rhode Island it was Iced Tea, even said so on the menus. In Georgia it is always written as Ice Tea. I just checked a package of Liption tea bags, they are "Specially Blended For Iced Tea" as you said. I really think it has to do with a lack of consistent standards in the US. The word ain't for example. When I was in high school it was major no no, then in college it was acceptable in all forms formally but it varied from professor to professor, not that I use it. Our dialect of English changes so often even the English teachers/professors get confused, or so I've been told. I've never spat on anyone but a few people have made the mistake of spitting upon me. Better? ;)

Scott

Reply to
Scott J

Ah hell their Texans, what do you expect?. Just joking Texans.

Scott

Reply to
Scott J

If I could get my kits to attend two modelling sessions per week they might get done faster. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

We've been laughing at tourists since I was a kid because of that. There's really a whole category of humour called 'tourist jokes' around here.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Yep, I learned that in a model railroad mag and I found the proper pronunciation for La Jolla in a Playboy about 30 years ago. See, it pays to read it also. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

'Alot' could be a verb as in "The official alotted evryone's quota of grain correctly." But you're correct about 'alot' not being acceptable as one word for 'a lot'. Gee, this is fun. Maybe we should split the group into those who give a fig for grammar and spelling and those who don't! :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

They've all escaped to Whoville.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

"...their Texans"?

Whose Texans?

Talk about being on topic while off topic.

:-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Used to be here in NorCal, too.

Part of my father's family settled this county in 1798. They used to laugh at the Gringos, especially their attempts at Spanish.

They the Gringos took over. They seem to ba lacking a sense of humor.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

So who came up with (pardonnez moi) shit/shat? I remember reading that once in a reviewer's comments on the "Tonight Show" being shown in Britain.

Where do we stand on pleaded/pled?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Maybe they feel some kinship for you. Large parts of Texas are hot, dry and barely habitable.

Bill Banaszak, MFE ;)

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

That's actually "allot". I can't find any entry for "alot" in my Big Pile O' Dictionaries.

I can't claim to know or remember any of this stuff off the top of my head, I have to look all of it up. Old age. I used to know alot, now I have to ax other people!

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris