(GEN) Reviewers Please Read...

You are correct. "Everyone" and "every one" are two different forms and are sometimes, but not always interchangeable. Your example above is correct, as is the example:

"Everyone here is infected!" she shouted. "Every one of you is radioactive!"

You could reverse those, as in the line below:

"Every one here is infected!" she shouted. "Everyone of you is radioactive!"

This would be technically correct, but most competent editors would whack you for it, or at least cringe a lot.

A couple more examples of two different forms that sound alike but are mostly but not completely interchangeable: "alright" and "all right", and "already" and "all ready".

The mistake of this sort I see most often is "alot." There's no such word as "alot." The correct form is "a lot."

DLF (thankful he doesn't have to run his e-mail messages past an editor)

Reply to
David Ferris

I should have been clearer, the reporter asked what to do to prevent flu other than getting a now pretty much nonexistent flushot, the reply about hand washing etc. came from a health department worker. The latter should know better.

One phone call to the NRA asking for information would have gotten the answer as would visiting a gunshop or simply picking up a cartridge guide and spending about 5 minutes reading. Before any rabid antis jump on the NRA and information, note I said *information* and not *opinion*, the NRA is quite good at distinguishing the two and provides what you ask for. In the early 80's and again in the early 90's Congress had studies done on accuracy of information provided by various sources, one time the NRA came in as most accurate followed by The Library of Congress, the other time their positions were reversed. Both times HCI came in somewhere below the National Enquirer and Weekly World News for providing accurate information. But, you know the media, never even think to call the NRA extremists for actual, verifiable data.

Reply to
Ron

Another annoyance is when Texans decide to post forsale items in aus.forsale

;-)

Both are correct, but it depends upon the context. You can say either:

"The Ferris' ancestral lands."

or

"The ancestral lands of the Ferrises."

But you can't say either:

"The Ferrises ancestral lands."

or

"The ancestral lands of the Ferris'."

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

SCUBA gear...

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Another peeve... and I'm not picking on you particularly, Scott. The American habit of being unable to use correct designatives (if that's what they're called), like *ICED* tea (the tea is iced, not ice!); saying "I spit on him', when it should have been past tense, "I spat on him" etc.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Although 'every one' would be correct if you were talking about a group of inanimate objects; ie: MODELS (remember them, guys!)

Other good ones are 'fish' and 'fishes', 'sheep' and 'sheeps' - a school of coral trout is just plain old 'fish' - a school of coral trout with a barramundi in the mix is (apparently) 'fishes' - I believe the same applies to sheep (just substitute the varieties).

RobG (the Aussie >

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

A lot of people around here say "shtreet," but it seems to be most prevalent among the blacks (just general pronunciation, no comments about the mayor please! :-)).

Another great >"M. J. Rudy" wrote:

Reply to
M. J. Rudy

Many have a problem with further/farther.

Just remember:

Farther is a spatial distance.

Further is used in figurative senses involving time, degree or quantity. It is useful to think of further in the context of a continuation of something or as being additive. Further may also be used as a verb whereas farther may not.

Ex:

We will travel farther in the morning.

We will discuss this further in the morning. We will further this discussion tomorrow.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

RobG,

Actually, spit or spat is an acceptable use of the past tense of the verb to spit.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

RobG,

"Every one" is correct when discussing an animate or inanimate object in the context of "without exception".

Ex: Every one of his brothers is blond.

When used as a pronoun, it is one word.

Ex: Everyone was there.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Another thing I've noticed a lot lately is the use of "that" when referring to people. As in "Congrats to all the troops that (who) were involved in capturing Saddam." I have a friend that (who) builds models, too." "That" is for objects, people are to be referred to as "who". Or is that taught differently now?

Reply to
famvburg

Hmm interesting point about the use of the scht sound for st and the dd instead of tt. Could be the way people are tought to make the sound. The scht sound, if you try it is made the same way as a t while keeping the teeth together. Schtik/stick. A lot of germanic language usage here I think. My aunt is from Germany and is always saying it that way. Schtrong, schtreet, schtick. Schtop that. If you place the tip of your tounge on the roof of your mouth you will make a t sound whereas the d is made by laying the front part of the tounge on the roof. Try it. Water/wadder. The st is made by placing the tip of the tounge on the back of the upper teeth. So it seems that the pronunciation of words is controled by how you learn to make these sounds. Duh. This dosen't explain other things though. I remember a DI in AIT (Drill Instructor in Advanced Individual Training armor by the way) trying to teach us how to maintain the M-3. "It's important that after you have cleaned the bolt that you place eral, Uh excuse me but whats earl sir? You know eral, EARL. It's like what you put it in your car. EARL. Oh, you mean OIL? Well why didn't you just say oil? Grease traps have oil in them too. I know. Cleaned one. He must have been from Joizy(Jersy) :).

Reply to
ARMDCAV

Hot water heater...

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

And unfunded government mandates... No child left behind my left arse cheek!

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Dunno about that, but when I do a spell check on threads that I've downloaded, it amost always comes up "that", and once in a while "whom". I guess that the real "who"s slip through.

The Old Timer

He never mentioned that, but you are certainly right.

IIRC these started in the Johnson administration, but funding was originally part of the mandated programs. It tapered off during the Reagan years and now they are imposed without as much as a suggestion of financial backing.

Kind of like the demand that the state pay for the illegal alien's basic needs. The Feds pay nothing and expect us tocarry the load caused by their failure to keep them out.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Actually, it's from the original Hebrew, so the plural of octopus should be "octopim."

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

Again, that's my point. My research over the centuries has brought up examples that claim "Ferris'" is correct when used as plural, regardless of possessive context, and other examples that claim it isn't correct.

In other words: dueling experts. Take your pick on which one you think is correct, when two equally respectable sources indicate polar opposites it's open game.

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris