(GEN) Reviewers Please Read...

I'm all in favor of good spelling too, and I do try to catch my errors before I ship my verbal swill out to the masses, but given the extemporaneous nature of this forum, it's not surprising I miss occasionally. Not to make an excuse, mind you, but if I can get a longish message off with only one typo, I hope the readers will forgive me more for the error than they will the actual content.

Mark Schynert (who can't even spell his name first draft without getting something wrong)

Reply to
Mark Schynert

poo-ma is from the original Spanish pyoo-ma is Anglicized I prefer the former, but the latter is not wrong.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

No sweat Dave, even though I mispelled pet.....actually I typoed it. I freely admit my typing sucks.....;)

Could be a typo, doubling of letters is common for me at least when typing as are missing a letter because I hit the key too softly or hitting and adjacent letter. Damned keyboards are 15-20% too small for large male humans.

No excuse.

If it had been "alotta" and typed in vernacular..."I gotta alotta widgets"....it might be acceptable.

I do that a lot, I soft hit the spacebar and whoops!

No excuse, it's Wodensdag or Odhinsdaeg originally.

No excuse.

Could be a typo.

No excuse.

Just freakin' lazy or trying to be "leet" which in my connotation means educated but illiterate dipshit.

Stupidity and laziness for the most part.

FWOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHH........

So can I, with a pen and paper.

Reply to
Ron

How do you pronounce it? I've always accented the first syllable.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I covered that problem by putting my name in my sig file. That way I only had to worry about my fumblefingers getting it right once.... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Mark, I'm not talking about typos. I'm specifically talking about people who can't spell or use proper english when writing.

There is a big difference between the two.

OK, other words that are misused:

To - Too - Two No - Know

Dave

Reply to
RoofDL

Bill Banaszak asks:

It's pronounced "er'-VAY-nee-ah".

I'm a "PYOO-mah", "DEE-kal", "ya-LOO" man myself. I've tried not to worry too much about modellers' or gamers' pronunciations since working with a couple of Greek professors in a research facility years ago. I asked them how they'd pronounce a number of ancient Greek military terms often used today by wargamers and figure painters. The two of them knew exactly what the words meant, having learned all about them in history classes in school, and their pronunciations were *very* different from anything I'd heard from any wargamer or modeller I knew.

The two words I remember from that conversation were "peltast", which they pronounced something like "bull-DOST", and "psiloi", which sounded almost exactly like our word "silly" but with the faintest, almost-but- not-quite-silent "p" sound in front.

Don't know about modelling, but in wargaming pronunciation is rarely a problem (although the bad French will make you wince). The only problem I've seen was in naval gaming for the Russo-Japanese War, since a lot of American gamers I know have problems with the names of the Russian ships. The Sino-Japanese War (ya-LOO! ya-LOO! sounds like it'd be a great battle cry) is also a bit tough because a number of the (Anglicized) names of the Chinese ships sound so much alike: at Yalu there was a Chin Yuan, a Ching Yuan, and a Chih Yuan, and my sources flip back and forth between Yuan and Yuen. To a person who speaks Chinese I'm sure those names sound distinctive and unique, but to my crew they all sound alike. I put ID code numbers on the bases of the ship models*, just to be safe.

(* 1/1200 scale white metal miniatures from Houston's Ships. Lovely ships, fun kits to assemble and paint, but not particularly accurate and none of the ships are in scale with each other. Great for wargaming, not so great for building accurate models.)

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris

ask robert smith

As a farrier (that is a horseshoer with an edumacation to you non-horsey folks) I can tell you join has been correct English, Queen's or American for at least a few centuries and is still commonly used by blacksmiths. We don't forge weld a joint but we do forge weld joins. A joint is, in very narrow terms, a connection of two or more parts either free or fixed, that are held together by mechanical means, pressure, screws and on and on.

Scott J

Reply to
Scott J

You live is SW Georgia too ;-P

Scott J

Reply to
Scott J

Sounds equally productive though

Scott J

Reply to
Scott J

When researching and producing the MAI Waco UPF-7 I got to correspond and eventually meet the folks in the Waco Historical Society and obtain all of their fine books.

At a Northern California IPMS contest I displayed our effort and was approached by a well known blowhard modeler. He had heard me say WAH-KO and decided to set me straight. After all, he was from WAY-KO, Texas and he wanted to make sure that I was put into my place.

Problem for this wonderful person was that Waco Aircraft were made in Ohio, IIRC, and the name had nothing to do with a Texas town. It was the first time that anyone had taken the time to trump this loudmouth and he was very quiet for a long time.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Here in England, we pronounce it "transfer"...... the only folk who pronounce it otherwise are those who read American modelling magazines. :) Actually, I believe the origin of the word is French, decalcomanie, it is how Willow pattern plates etc. were decorated. Don't have any reference right now, just somewhere in the back of my overloaded cranium. N

Reply to
Nigel Cheffers-Heard

But if your worthy President pronounces it that way, it MUST be right, right? N

(I'm saving up for a condoleeza, but it would be nice if I could afford one with two bedrooms...) N

Reply to
Nigel Cheffers-Heard

Transfers!

Reply to