(GEN) Reviewers Please Read...

"if ye haven't got a penny then a ha'penny will do" I didn't realise the 'sch' was so pronounced over in Philly. Around here it's not uncommon but we're a little "Dutch". I always thought my Philly cousins had some family thing with their speech patterns but listening to the news from over there and my son's in-laws has taught me it's a local speech pattern. I must have gotten out in time since my 'water' sounds more like it looks than the 'wudder' I hear from my cousins. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

The only good car modelling mag is "Model Cars" but I can't get it around here since the one shop went belly-up. The other shop in town deals with Kalmbach and no way are they going to handle a better magazine than their own. I could always get a subscription, I guess.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I was working toward the Leema/Lyema thing as a pun on Wayco/Wacko. Just don't stop by Cairo, Ill. and pronounce it like the Egyptian capital. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Then that brings up how one pronounces 'zebra'. I guess most survivors of junior high can tell you about the Z-bra. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Strangely, I had a confusing word pair straightened out for me on a TV show. I think it was "Maude" but I'm sure it was the actor Robert Mandan who cleared up imply/infer for me. He said (and I paraphrase, probably) "You can imply but I have to infer."

The worst problem I have is with further/farther. I think farther signifies a physical distance whilst further can be used for discussions.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Perhaps they should refer to themselves in group as a 'wheel'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Perhaps it's just me but there seems to be a difference in the two forms.

"Everyone in my family is short, fat and bald." has a different tone than "Every one of my brothers has three children."

Bill Banaszak, MFE Also infatuated with language, about 40 years too late, according to my English teachers.

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Haha! Snicker... chortle... Good one!

Frank

Reply to
The Kranicks

nope, it's kayrow, like the syrup.

In California, most people will have no idea what you're talking about unless you call it a mountain lion. Cougar is probably a distant second, followed by puma. Call it a 'painter' in the Bay Area and we'd assume it was a graffiti artist.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

This sort of thing was deadened for me at age 10. I lived in Los Altos, California ('The Heights'), for the Coast Range foothills that ran along the west side of town. The next town over incorporated as Los Altos Hills. About the same time, the Los Angeles Angels came into being as a baseball team.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

The first reporter certainly suffered from imprecision, but he got a lot more right than perhaps he deserved. A lot of the so-called flu cases are actually bacterial contamination of food resulting in food poisoning that mimics a lot of the flu symptoms (especially the gastric distress).

As for the pathetic attempt at describing the logic of exterior ballistics, it amazes me how little most people understand about the destructive power of a very small but dense object moving at very high speed, especially when it modifies its trajectory upon hitting flesh and begins to tumble.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Get a cat.

Works every time.

Unfortunately once the cat finds it, it's history. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I still think that legal action with large monetary damages should be levied against those morons who wasted our kid's time and our hard earned money on "New Match" and whatever the stupid street slang was that they tried to palm off on the schools in various parts of the country.

Bottom line on a lot of the crap that makes it into schools can be presented at the feet of parents. Last Saturday I attended the Oakland Holiday Parade, Lynne and two of our friends were in the parade. A Jewish Rudolph, Santa and Mrs.Clause made for a fun time.

Sitting next to me was mayor and ex-govorner Jerry Brown. Most of the time was spent discussing education, special education especially. Mayor Brown is a very angry man when these subjects come up. I asked him what his biggest gripe was. His reply was simple: Two PTA family members for every 100 students. Parents not only don't give a damn, they actively prevent their kids from learning.

I say make every kit attend two plastic modeling meeting a week and they can't graduate without completing one model per month.

Of course anyone on this forum would be exempt. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

If he were to take that degree to Argentina and put his knowledge to use working with a very small, one trick pony model company he could then have a PUKY PUCARA.

Of course this would reflect the opposite end of the spectrum.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

That's not too bad, Nige. Give the man a coconut!

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Nope Dean, I ain't seed it yet. But I'll keep lookin.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg