Gen set

We spent last week on holiday in Yorkshire and visited the steam railway station in Embsay near Skipton. There is a generator set there, skid mounted with a Ricardo engine as driver. The condition is tatty but everything seems to be there. I doubt that the preservation society have an urgent need for such a machine and may consider selling. I didn't enquire as there wasn't anyone around and it's a bit big for my taste (and for the boot of the car). I may remember more details if anyone is interested. Sorry I didn't take notes at the time, will try better next time, honest guv. I would guess the date at about 1950's but, as I say, it's not really my interest.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I got all exited when I saw Ricardo engined gen set - a Dolphin engine or perhaps one of the WWI tank engines? Harry Ricardo had an input on the design of many engines but few bore his name alone. I guess we're talking Paxman-Ricardo or something here. Still well spotted though.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Hi, It's a 4 cylinder Pelapone and we had agreed to buy it. However so much interest (1 person) after 20 years made the Soc think it was worth more money and they upped the price :-)

The thing weighs in at about 2.5 tons and is in fairly poor condition.

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales.

Paul Evans

Kelvin-Ricardo, Brotherhood-Ricardo, there were many companies that took out licences for either petrol sidevalve combustion chambers or diesel chambers.

I've just put a couple of old Kelvin handbooks on ebay, starting price is $US5.00. One is for a Kelvin-Ricardo marine engine.

Peter

Peter A Forbes