GPS and nauticle distance between lats etc

Can some kind and clever soul tell me how many nauticle miles between the following GPS numbers:
Lon East 138 deg 48.889
Lat South 35 deg 38.012
If you could also explain the maths to arrive at the distance that would be helpful as well, or, perhaps some calculator on the web that can be used.
Thanks
DN
The distance is zero since you only defined one spot. You need two sets of lat and lon before you have a distance between them.
--
Paul McIntosh
RC-Bearings.com

To CJ,
Are you also an (ex) seaman into RC??
Olivier
--
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX : buddy box compatibility problems between
different brands of RC-transmitters.

oooh I'd never admit to COBOL!
I've had to write code that did similar things, but I did it all with vector math. It looks prettier than all that trig.
--
"Is there such thing as too much of a bad thing?" - Tripping the Rift

Well, I used to be ashamed of my COBOL expierence but after nearly 25 years of this computer stuff, I have fond memories of it...
CJ

Am I missing something here?. Lon East. 138.48.889 and Lat South 35.38.012 seems to me to be a single point. Somewhere near Adelaide South Australia Should there be another set of Lat/Lon points?.

OOppps Let me start all over ;-)
distance from South 35 28.9 East 138.45
South 35 deg 38.012 East 138 deg 48.889
Must keep the cork on the fine Red methinks
DN
On 30 Sep 2005 05:43:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iprimus.com.au wrote in

Here is a google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hs=hD0&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&rls=en&q lculate+distance+latitude+longitude&btnG=Search
This page will do what you want when you feed it the proper notation for your starting and endpoint: <http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cvm/latlongdist.html .
Your Eastern figures (East 138.45) don't match the proper format.
                        Marty
Distance between 35 28'54"S 138 45' 0"E and 35 38' 1"S 138 48'53"E is 9.6658 nautical miles
This calculation assumes the earth is a perfect sphere with a radius of 3443.9 nautical miles

Hi DN, As other will/have informed you, that Lat/Lon defines one point on the earth's surface. You'll need to select/define another point then you may go here http://www.wcrl.ars.usda.gov/cec/java/lat-long.htm to determine the distance between them. Just one of the many surface distance calculators available. Try a Google search.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed
< snipped-for-privacy@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
9.64853430988569 nautical miles.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed
"Ed Forsythe" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| 9.64853430988569 nautical miles.
Accurate enough for you? :)
That suggests an error of the order of 0.18 angstroms -- about 1/10 th of the size of a hydrogen atom :)
Micro Credo: Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.
;-)
--
Tally Ho!
Ed