Measuring distance between origins

Anyone else notice that you cannot measure the distance between the origins of copied parts in an assembly. Seems like the ability to measure these distances would be a given. Not so

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Measurements can be made between parts with unique configurations.

Reply to
Kman

As I suspected. This almost sounds like the situation with flexible subassemblies. Could it be that SW only creates one body for the part if there is a single configuration? Therefore, measuring between origins on the same configuration of the same part is like measuring between two points at the same location.

BTW are you report> > Is this true if each part has a unique configuration?

Reply to
P.

I can pick the origins of copied parts (no configurations) from the feature manager tree to acquire measured distance between. However, cannot pick these same origins from the display.

BTW are you reporting this for SW2005 or SW2004?

2004/SP4.2

Reply to
Kman

There might be different behavior in SW2005 then because I believe they made it so that flexible subassemlies don't need separate configurations. This might effect your problem.

I find it interesting that picking in the feature tree is different than picking in the display. Still scratching my head to figure that one out.

This reminds me of a glitch that was shown to me regarding CosmosWorks. Picking certain faces in an assembly had unexpected results as far as boundary conditions were concerned.

Kman wrote:

configurations.

Reply to
P.