Hobbico Twin Star Alert

I built one of these ARF twins recently and discovered the following building flaw. I was bringing the plane in on final and just over the threshold caught a cross wind gust and the plane sat down some what hard. I wasn't concerned as it didn't bounce just settled a little harder than I like.

While inspecting it at the field I noticed the landing gear wire both were loose in their respective hardwood blocks.

I took it home and opened the wing. What a surprise!. The gear blocks were glued in with white glue (Elmer's?). I had to epoxy both gear blocks as they had come apart and then epoxy the blocks back into the wing. I had to add small hardwood blocks on both sides of each of the 1/16 lite ply wing ribs that the original gear blocks were only lightly glued. If you have a Twinstar, best check this condition out.,

Reply to
Watchur6

I have seen epoxied blocks break loose with sufficient shear load placed upon them.

At least you can glue your pieces back together. Had the joint held, it might have destroyed your wing.

Thanks for the heads up, however.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

After seeing this same "complaint" repeatedly regarding almost any ARF you can think of, I have assumed the manufacturers do this on purpose so the blocks WILL just break loose on a poor landing. Personally, I would much rather re-glue the blocks versus re-build the wing.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob

Perhaps so they'll be easier to chip out if you're installing retracts? I mean, I'm sure those manufacturers have our best interests at heart, right?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Of course they do! :-)

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob

Good point, Ed. When I screw on aluminum landing gear, I put the plate in as good as I can, and then I take a Zona saw and right under the heads of nylon screws that holds the aluminum to the plate, I saw little slits to make that part the weakest in the link between ground and fuselage. Of course, I did this with my "Megalith" (see image) and the gear popped off while I was testing it and it had a hard landing. I had put some really cute wheel fenders on it and the two streamlined backends of the fenders stabbed neat holes in the covering of the bottom of the wing. I hadn't thought about that livelihood. Still, there was no structural damage and the fenders were so cute, I left them on -- and paid more attentions to my landings.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Cashion

White glue is what I use. Not Elmers but PICA or carpenters glue. I find epoxy to be too brittle for this. Unless reinforced with fiberglass that is. But being an ARF it was probably hot glue.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I've had similar experiences with Hobbico products. I just avoid them now. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Have also had similar experiences with Hobbico and other ARFs. On one model the block actually split along the grain. It looked like they used basswood and hot glue. Anyway, I drilled across the grain and epoxied in some panelling nails (the ones the have ribs along their length) and also epoxied the split. It never broke again. Personally I've not had any problems with breaking anything else because the landing gear was solid. Might have bent the gear a little, but that's easily fixed. But if your LG block is the weak link you might end up breaking other stuff too, in addition to props. BTW, hi everyone. Max

Reply to
Max

Welcome here Max. mk

Reply to