How to start with a hub nut?

Removed my spinner while in experimenting with different props so got a
nice big brass hub for the front. Turned my electric starter cone
around now can't seem to keep the starter on the hub for more than
about one turn or so, not enough to start the engine. Is there a
different rubber adapter for these?
Thanks
Newbie
Reply to
Mark
Make sure you're using the small-hole end of the cone. You need to put more pressure on the starter against the hub. Don't worry, you won't damage the engine or break it off the model. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver
And keep the starter aligned with the shaft of the engine ;-)
Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Flying Gators R/C______/ \__Gainesville FL _________/ Visit my Web Site at:

Lyman Slack
The other responses are good, and another option is to buy a rubber starter insert that is made to use with prop hub nuts. That's what I use and it works great. Tower has them for Sullivan starters for $8.29. See the link below.
I've used them with Hobbico starters although the Sullivan insert is a little large, you can still cram it into the aluminum starter cone and it'll work.
Jim
Reply to
Joe Bill
Who was it that used to sell the real soft cones? They worked well on those plastic spinners and the acron nuts from Higley.
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
Some of the rubber pieces on the starters are reversible for this purpose, one side has a larger size than the other.
Greg
Reply to
Greg Forestieri
Take an X-Acto knofe and slightly bevel the small hole in the rubber. About 1/4: will do. Keep it as even as possible.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
If you have a Sullivan starter or a starter with a standard 1 3/4" cone, get the Sullivan #S-633 silicone insert... The silicone inserts are kinda pricey, but they'll outlast the standard inserts 10 to 1...
Bill

Bill Fulmer
A little known fact is, you can make your own starter insert from a tube of dried out 100% silicone caulk. You can rough it into shape on a bandsaw, but watch out. It can and will jump out of your hands, so don't let your hand get pulled into the blade with it. Finish getting it into shape with a stationary disk sander. You can then put a deeper hole in it with a drill bit, only a small amount bigger than the spinner nut, and start merrily away. -- Jim in NC
Reply to
Morgans
Bzzzzzzz. Wrong advice. Very rare from you. Rubber cones come in various sizes. Buy the one that fits the hub.
Reply to
Name
there is one that is tapered and works well on my heavy hub. I think it is blue. Non tapered ones turned around might wreck your mount or fly off and hit you on large engines.
Mark wrote:
Reply to
jim breeeyar
Why is that wrong? My starter came with a reversible cone and the instructions called for just that use.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Same here
Reply to
Don Hatten
where do you get them? Tower doesn't list it.
Reply to
jeboba
Yes, they do...
See
Sullivan part # is S633
Another one that'll work is at:
Bill
Reply to
Bill Fulmer
Yes. I have two different inserts for my electric starter, one for spinners and one for hub nuts. Bought the hub nut one after I learned it was VERY difficult to keep the reversed insert centered while attempting to start. The insert for hubs will also start my .91FS so long as I crank the prop back to just past compression to allow it to get a running start.
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople
Bill's right. Got the Sullivan S-633 insert on my starter, too (it is blue, BTW). They not only grip prop nuts, but they also grip plastic spinners much better than the standard ones. I don't dig grooves in my spinners any more! -- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
Reply to
Morris Lee
My Sullivan cone insert has nothing but a hole in the back...not reversable. I have hit it with a burr a little to open it up and make a tapered fit, this seems to work better but it still winds off pretty quickly unless I hold it very very tightly.
Mark
Reply to
Mark
I'm telling you, the custom made one is the ticket. See my other post. -- Jim in NC
Reply to
Morgans
Tower
Reply to