I Shoulda Known Better: Servo Leads Lesson

I've been flying RC as an adult since 1995.

A few months ago, I set up a hand-me-down giant trainer. I've been running some gasoline engines on it to break them in (MVVS 1.6 and 2.15).

I've got about 41 flights on the plane.

The last two times out, I had some glitches on the elevator. I finally bit the bullet and pulled out the radio yesterday to see what was going on.

I had made my servo leads for the elevator too short. The lead from the switch, which I located near the leading edge, was also short. The effect of the tension between the two leads plus the vibration from the engines was pulling the wires out of the pins in the connectors.

I'm going to be MUCH more careful in my setups in the future to keep slack in the wiring. What was I thinking?

I thought maybe someone could learn from my mistakes.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Marty, This is NOT funny! I made up a couple of Y cords for a new biplane last month. Wouldn't you know it, one leg was 6 inches too short! ARGH!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I would have saved a lot of wire and a lot of work if I'd just gone and been generous in making up the original leads.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Per my Hanger 9 instructions; I overhand tie my connections and rap with electrical tape, so the knot can't walk. With the electrical tape you can take the bend tension off the wire.

Thanks for the reminder of this issue. I have been anxious and had a barely short wires. So far, I adjusted the receiver connection strip direction or even moved the receiver some to compensate; if viable.

Reply to
warlockg