ignition coils

can anyone help me in regards to minature ignition coil winding. i know i can buy them (modelectric)but i would like to have a go at winding one, so i can run my home built 9cc aero engine

Reply to
mike

I have bought Bob Shores' book - "Ignition coils and magnetos in miniature". If you cut the blurb to fill pages it is actually handy. Otherwise save yourself all the trouble and buy an ignition coil of small watercraft - for instance, some Mariner engines has a coil for each cylinder.

Keep us posted, I am also interested in the subject.

Reply to
Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. I'm going to get the bob shore book. The fact is I have a modellectric coil and use it with an antique engine.(brown junior) Couldn't reply to your email, wouldn't work But I also make home built engines and would like to make the entire ignition system

Regards,mike

Reply to
mike

G'day Mike, Haven't looked at them, but what do you have to trigger it? Are you going to use battery or ...? Don't have to decide all straight away, but the basics are not overly difficult in theory. There are a number of references on winding transformers that can be chased up. A higher number of turns may make up for a smaller and lighter core than would be used in a car or motorbike.

To get it to work for more than a few cycles and with enough energy to spark at 15000+rpm or with a low weight is another question but I'm happy to sound off your ideas.....

Do you have a bit of electronics knowledge?

Peter

Reply to
Bushy

Thanks for the reply peter. My current system uses 3 volt (2aa size batteries) and points. I suppose i can use a hall effect device to trigger it or be really clever and make a minature magneto! Yes i do have some electronic knowledge but if i do have any bother i can consult one of the other engineers who is an electronics engineer (i'm mechanical)

regards mike

Reply to
mike