Informative Web sites, up-to-date literature and so on for a newbie

Howdy. I'm the newbie. I want to fly (a radio controlled plane) but think I need to read. A good dictionary/glossary or subject
encyclopedia would be wonderful but fairly simple instructional stuff of all kinds would be helpful. As an indicator of my level of knowledge: I've had some flight simulator experience (Sublogic, I'm afraid) and I have a HobbyZone Super Cub I bought, crashed and started repairs on. So I know an elevator from a rudder but have to guess about an elevon (sp?). And I can tell foam from balsa but not one kind of foam from another. Thanks much for any help. rr

I don't know of specific web sites, but I know they are out there. I would suggest that you go to <http://www.towerhobbies.com/ and do some good looking around,.at what they sell, and the specifications of the products, and the help sections, where they offer a couple pages of tutorial on different subjects.
Also, check out <http://www.horizonhobby.com/ and this next site an abundance of good references. <http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/
A site with a TON of sites to look through is: <http://www.craigcentral.com/modelmain.asp
Well, I hope you take advantage of these links, because there is so much to surf through, you could keep busy for a couple weeks, and you would come out the other side of the long tunnel a LOT smarter about RC airplanes.
One last thing, as a bit of good advise. Either join AMA, and find out where there is a local club with a flying field, or find a local field that people fly at. Most will require that you join AMA.
Once you find a couple, go out and introduce yourself, and watch and talk. You will learn a lot that you can not learn from reading. Also, you can find someone to teach the art of flying, instead of the self taught art of crashing, repairing, and crashing again, all in less than two minutes of air time. <g> I went the later route, until I got smart! Some will tell you that you can teach yourself, and some can. It is less painful to have someone teach you, for most people. ;-)
Good luck, and welcome.
--
Jim in NC

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:29:18 -0400, "Morgans"

Thanks for the sites and especially for the advice. rr
A few links:
http://www.av8n.com/how / http://manuals.hobbico.com/gbg/general-information.pdf http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong / http://www.bolly.com.au/1998%20Bolly%20Book%20v3.pdf http://www.scribd.com/doc/1526/Model-Airplane