lighting on airplanes

When putting red and green lights on the wing tips, which side should the red go?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I would imagine they are the same as ships so the red would go on the port or left side, green on starboard or right.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Remember this, and you will never forget it.

Right has more letters than left, so relate that to: green has more letters than red. There you go!

Green on the right, red on the left.

As an added bonus, go nautical, and remember that starboard has more letters than port. Starboard is the right.

Reply to
Morgans

Old sailors say there is no port left......Port being red. Nav lights on aircraft the same. John.

Reply to
JB

I was taught to remember the phrase "Someone LEFT the PORT WINE". Of course you must be a red wine drinker:):):):):):):):)

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Red on the left when sitting in the cockpit. Here is a memory jogger: "He left the red port" Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Red is left. I was an electronics tech on airplanes for 10 years. the way I was given to remember is "Red, Right, Return" If the red light is on the left, the burd is coming home, not going away. Always works for me! Mark

Reply to
Penguin254

Light is good for airplanes. As discussed in another recent thread, airplanes that are built lighter fly better. So....always build light into your airplane.

"Only one bottle of red port left."

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

RED on the Right is returning is the way my CFI taught me. That works out to be red on the left. It works in GA and it works when I night fly.

If you really intend to night fly there needs to be two bulbs or you will loose sight of the plane any time it is banking. Put them on the outboard top tips at the spar and one bay inboard on the bottom (this keeps you from scraping them off when you do one of those wingtip touch and goes - ). I also use a white (or yellow) bulb at the rearmost end of the rudder and another on the top of the turtle deck. Most low winged birds work better as night flyers than high wingers because of this turtle deck issue. Be careful NOT to put "landing lights" on your plane as when you roll out on final, they will tend to blind you. BTDT!

Good luck.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Thanks for the all the help. I flew my Parkflier Pete at night for the first time. I had 3 LED's on it and on the first flight I got totally disoriented, I thought it had rolled over and landed up side down. When I got to where the plane was I realized it actually landed right side up. I don't know how that happened, but I was definitely happy. On the second flight, I paid a lot more attention to the lights, no blinking allowed, and had several good laps around the yard. I didn't attempt any loops or rolls, because I was too afraid I'd get disoriented again.

The Red LED is a High Output Wide angle which works great, except when the wing is pointing right at you, for that brief second it blinds you. I was thinking what if I were to put a black dot on the top of the LED with a sharpie. Would this stop that from happening?

Also I couldn't find a High Output green LED at Radio Shack, so it was really dim. Where else can I find one?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Sand the surface of the led

Reply to
Rolf R Bakke

I already gave you the link for high output LEDs, but here it is again:

ULTRABRIGHT GREEN T 1 3/4 LED CAT# LED-57

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Another suggestion I've seen is to add another LED under each wing at the fuselage pointing along the length of the wing. This gives the effect of lighting the entire underside. I haven't tried this yet as I'm still getting used to flying my Slow Stick in daylight. ;^)

Reply to
Jerry

Red is the color of Port (left) wine.

Red left, right green same on aircraft as boats.

Reply to
w4jle

Port red wine...

Reply to
Jet Red

Reply to
Penguin254

Actually had a pirate at a Ren Fest hand me two bottles of alcohol, one of which happened to be port and the other one was green (Klingon:"What is this?" Scotty:"It's green."). Dont remember what it was, hell, dont remember much of the entire day, but he was very impressed that even in my drunken (Fubar) state, I still managed to hold the bottle of port in my left hand and the bottle of green whateveritwas in my right. My friend, Wolfe, staggered up at that point and asked what was in the bottle in my left hand. Port, I replied. Well, then what is in your right hand? Starboard, of course! Dont remember much after that...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople