LiPoly fire

Yep, I think you are on to one of the best reasons, Lyman. Besides having the charge protective circuitry built into the battery packs (where they can't be bypassed due to neglect or intentionally), the chargers are single-purpose and matched to the specific packs. No user controls subject to human error. That's the other best reason they have fewer accidents.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

When we start souping up our cell phones so they put out 30 amps, and re-charge in 60 minutes, we will see more cell phone fires. Hey, maybe I'm on to something. :)

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Hi Bob, long time no see!

Dunno about hot rodding cell phones. If I could by doing so make one that could fry the ear hairs of the idiot driving 30 mph in the fast lane 'cause he won't shut and drive, I would. Maybe you ARE onto sumtin.' Not here yet for blaster cell phones, but souped up power tools with LiIon packs providing the energy are, and they operate at the kind of industrial strength levels of which you speak. LiPos developed for them may be our next generation of motivation - but DeWalt and Milwalkee et al are gobbling up all the production right now.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

I'm presently testing samples of 2300 mAh packs from A123 Systems, flying them in a 4S2P configuration in a Telemaster Electro w/ AXI 2826-12 swinging APC 13 X 6.5. If these things come anywhere close to the 1000 cycle life they are advertising, they will bring a whole new era to electric flight.

For information see

Red Scholefield

| >When we start souping up our cell phones so they put out 30 amps, and | >re-charge in 60 minutes, we will see more cell phone fires. Hey, maybe I'm | >on to something. :)

Actually, my cell phone charges in a little over an hour. It's not quite 1C, but close.

... of course, people are now charging LiPos at 2-4C now. Personally, I'll stick to 1C for a while.

| Not here yet for blaster cell phones, but souped up power tools with | LiIon packs providing the energy are, and they operate at the kind of | industrial strength levels of which you speak.

They also weigh more ...

| LiPos developed for them may be our next generation of motivation - | but DeWalt and Milwalkee et al are gobbling up all the production | right now.

... and we're gobbling them up. People are buying the Milwalkee 7s packs for about $105 on Ebay and pulling out the cells. It's about

1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of equivilent R/C packs, and can do 15-20C or so. They do weigh a bit more, but not too much.
Reply to
Doug McLaren

Glad you're looking at them, Red. Looking forward to your report.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger