Making the Mag3 IMU Wireless

I am trying to figure out a way to wirelessly transmit the output of a
memsense Mag3 Inertial Measurement Unit to a receiver up to 30 feet
away, while maintaining the smallest possible footprint on the
transmitting end. I was originally thinking a "Mote" would be the
answer, but motes don't seem to be able to transmit enough data fast
enough. I don't know if the product or technology will be wifi,
bluetooth, cellular, etc. but I would really appreciate any advice or
someone who can point me in the right direction to find the answer.
Here is a link to the Mag3 datasheet:

Thanks,
Matt
Reply to
Matt
Too hard of a question???
Matt
What planet are you from?
Apparnetly no one here knows what a 'Mag3 Inertial Measurement Unit' is, or cares for that matter.
Beside, acording to the New AMA Safety Code: "No model aircraft shall be equipped with devices which allow for autonomous flight."

Doug Dorton
So what's the problem? I see this as a great way for an aerobatics flyer to get a log of his flight for later scutiny. One should be able to review all sorts of things post flight to help improve their flying. I would be interested in any sort of flight data recorder that provides either transmitted or recorded data of what my aircraft is doing in 3d space. -Rob-

Rob
Sounds like a cool project but way over my head. I suspect you would have to coordinate with the manufacturer of the Mag3 to find out if they have a way to make it transmit. Who know, could be a market niche for them and they might help you out so you could test it. I can think of a LOT of reasons to have it transmit to a remote location....not just aircraft usage.
jeboba
Doug,
Thanks for the reply.
A Mag3 Inertial Measurement Unit is a device recently created by Memsense that can monitor accelerations and rotations. It is very small less than 1in by 1in, I believe. I provided a link to the Mag3 datasheet in case someone was interested in exactly what it was
An IMU doesn't have to do anything with autonomous flight. It can report real-time statistics about acceleration, and that is why I want to make it wireless.
Can you suggest a better place for me to ask this question?
Matt.
Reply to
Matt
Jeboba,
I contacted the manufacturer of the Mag3 and they didn't have any answers for me, except that they were creating a product that would be wireless but it wouldn't be available until 2005. Maybe I'll follow up with them and see if they need a tester. Thanks for replying.
Matt
Reply to
Matt
Thanks for the vote of confidence Rob. I am really committed to figuring this out.
Matt

Matt
Matt,
Look as if I had it backwards. Should be an interesting project.
I hope that you are able to find the answers that you are looking for.
Doug

Doug Dorton
Let us know if you have any success. It sounds like an interesting project!
> .2.pdf
Reply to
jeboba