Marutaka

Who besides hobbybarn sells marutaka kits. I am looking for their 1/5 scal f4u voight corsair which was orginally a royal product, but later marketed by marutaka.

Reply to
m sanders

Thanks for the suggestion, but they are out of this kit. Anyone else know of someone besides hobbybarn that sells marutaka kits. I am looking for their

1/5 scale f4u voight corsair which was orginally a royal product, but later marketed by marutaka.
Reply to
m sanders

IIRC, there never was a 1/5 scale Marutaka kit. Royal imported the kits and sold them under Royal's name. Hobbybarn picked up the line after Royal went belly-up.

The Corsair had a 41ft. (40'-11") wingspan. A 1/5 scale machine comes in at a

98" wingspan. Royal never sold that size of a model, or certainly not back in their hay-days when I owned a Hobby-Shop and handled all their kits plus built several.

I notice the 65" w/s P-51 now being tauted as 1/6 scale. Nay not so. P-51 was

37' span requiring a 74" w/s model for 1/6 scale.

HC

Reply to
CainHD

Singapore Hobby Supplies,

has a Marutaka 1/5 scale F4U Corsair kit on their current price list. I've ordered kits from them and had them shipped to the US.

Reply to
C G

If you find a Marutaka kit that you want, you better grab it as Marutaka has gone the way of PICA. The ARFs have caused them to shut up shop.

Reply to
Don Hatten

Indeed a sad state of affairs for the hobby. Not that I have anything against the ARFs. But the kits have so much more to offer and teach IMHO.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Guys, please don't see it as sad. It's a great hobby weather you just like to fly, or put a kit together, or you want to bag your own slg, or cut your own foam cores, or even scratch build a jenny. Not all pilots are mechanics and not all mechanics are pilots. Be glad if you can do both but I wouldn't look down on others in the hobby for not doing so.

I had one new ARF, and it was a foam wing so it couldn't have been much else but an ARF. I've just finished a skeeter that the girls got me for my b-day (hope to fly it today). It was fun to put together, but now I'd rather be flying.

Perhaps the ARFers already realized that and can afford the luxury. Or they simply don't have the time/patience/skill set/desire to glue a bunch of balsa sticks together and cover it then sort out the guts.

Another possibility is that since I've built a few kits, I don't really see much need for them anymore. I can't see needing much more than a 3-view and some materials for replicating an existing plane. Kits just make it easier, which ironically is what ARF's do.

I can't say where the percieved kit demand went, but businesses must adapt or fold. I do believe there will always be kits, and the cheaper kits will "teach" you more than the perfect kits if you are persistent.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Guys, thanks for the input. I am still looking for a giant wwII corsair (F4U?) KIT. Sorry, but to me there is no pride or sense of accomplishment in getting an ARF or kit sold as a partial ARF (foam wing) off the ground. I guess that I am one of those "mechanics" that like to fly..... thanks for the input, still looking......

Reply to
m sanders

thanks, singapore does stock the 20 and sift, bit not the giant

98"ws....just got an email back from them this am.....

Reply to
m sanders

corsair

accomplishment in

ground. I

Did you try

John Alt

That's what I was going to suggest! Get a set of plans and have one of the kit cutters cut a kit for you. Partial or complete, take your pick. Of course, then you'll have to decide things like which engine, retracts, etc! :)

Reply to
Chuck Jones