Morgan Fuels USA

I have included a email from a Club Member below for comments from any of you wise guys :-)

I will publish this and any info you can add in our Club Magazine (with your consent of course) There are two issues here. Firstly is it possible or wide spread, that Morgan Oil can be distructive to plastic parts on a Radio? Secondly, I wonder if other manifacturers of RC Tx and Rx have plastic (or other parts) subject to the corrosive effects of this or similar oil.

May I suggest you visit my Club's web site for a friendly look at what is on offer? You might like to read past issues of the Club news letter whilst you are there.

Looking forward to any useful comments on the following message from a Club Member:-

I went shopping for an engine mount today and whilst in the shop I spoke to the guy behind the counter about my transmitter literally falling to pieces. He asked me what type of fuel oil I used and I told him that it was 'Cool Power' (Morgan Fuels). He then told me that, that was the cause of the problem. Apparently the synthetic oil causes the plastics to break down he asked me if I held the transmitter whilst the engine was running prior to take off exposing it to the exhaust gasses which would contain the synthetic oil and would find its way into the interior of the transmitter. I told him that I had also had a fuel spillage on to the radio and couldn't clean it for 1=BD hours (using meths). He told me that that was all that was required to start off this decaying process. He also mentioned that servo casings could be damaged in the same manner but the gears are made of nylon or brass and not sensitive to the synthetic oil. I feel this information could be of interest to other members of the club and worth a mention in the "Idle Times". The plus factor of this experience is that he asked me if I would like to take a chance on purchasing a brand new JR X3810 transmitter with a dud motherboard as it was not economic for them to repair and would be scrapped. I bought this for $70 and with 1 hours work exchanging the motherboard from my old transmitter into the new transmitter Bingo! One new transmitter ready to go.

Cool Power is manufactured by Morgan Fuels in USA. The local supplier is Scotcher Fuels at Wingfield.

Reply to
DN

Don't be so sure that this is a problem with just Cool Power fuel. The nitromethane in all fuels is an excellent solvent for many types of plastic and is widely used in the plastics industry as such.

"DN" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com... I have included a email from a Club Member below for comments from any of you wise guys :-)

I will publish this and any info you can add in our Club Magazine (with your consent of course) There are two issues here. Firstly is it possible or wide spread, that Morgan Oil can be distructive to plastic parts on a Radio? Secondly, I wonder if other manifacturers of RC Tx and Rx have plastic (or other parts) subject to the corrosive effects of this or similar oil.

May I suggest you visit my Club's web site for a friendly look at what is on offer? You might like to read past issues of the Club news letter whilst you are there.

Looking forward to any useful comments on the following message from a Club Member:-

I went shopping for an engine mount today and whilst in the shop I spoke to the guy behind the counter about my transmitter literally falling to pieces. He asked me what type of fuel oil I used and I told him that it was 'Cool Power' (Morgan Fuels). He then told me that, that was the cause of the problem. Apparently the synthetic oil causes the plastics to break down he asked me if I held the transmitter whilst the engine was running prior to take off exposing it to the exhaust gasses which would contain the synthetic oil and would find its way into the interior of the transmitter. I told him that I had also had a fuel spillage on to the radio and couldn't clean it for 1½ hours (using meths). He told me that that was all that was required to start off this decaying process. He also mentioned that servo casings could be damaged in the same manner but the gears are made of nylon or brass and not sensitive to the synthetic oil. I feel this information could be of interest to other members of the club and worth a mention in the "Idle Times". The plus factor of this experience is that he asked me if I would like to take a chance on purchasing a brand new JR X3810 transmitter with a dud motherboard as it was not economic for them to repair and would be scrapped. I bought this for $70 and with 1 hours work exchanging the motherboard from my old transmitter into the new transmitter Bingo! One new transmitter ready to go.

Cool Power is manufactured by Morgan Fuels in USA. The local supplier is Scotcher Fuels at Wingfield.

Reply to
Frederick Witt

I've been using Morgan fuels for over twenty years, Cool Power, Omega and Mach-7, up to 25% nitro with absolutely no ill effects on any plastic parts of the Futaba, Airtonics and HiTech radios I've used through the years. Not only that, not even one of the many modelers I've encountered through the years has experienced this alleged "problem." But don't just take my word for it, ask your fellow Aussie Brian Winch, "The Oily Hand" columnist of R/C Report magazine.

Tejas Pedro

Reply to
Random Excess

But don't just take my word for it, ask your fellow Aussie

Thanks for the suggestion Mate. Seems odd this one. Wonder if JR had a bad batch of plastic on this occasion? Also, our Club member with the problem does not use Nitro, so it's the oil - dunno all a bit of a mystery, but would like to track down what really caused his problem.

DN

Reply to
DN

On 14 Mar 2007 23:03:13 -0700, "DN" wrote in :

I have a bad JR TX case.

I've always blamed myself for its demise.

I have an image of spilling fuel on it (Cool Power) at least once. I may have made other mistakes, too.

I know I've dropped it badly at least once and probably shaken it up countless times en route to the field.

My Hitec transmitters haven't shown any of the same decay, so it may be (as you suggest) that JR was using "bad" plastic.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Been watching this thread and I must ask how do you get oil on the xmtr? I've been at this since reeds and I can't recall *ever* having an oily xmtr. It seems to me that the solution is *not* to place your xmtr anywhere near the exhaust and carry a rag in your hip pocket so that you can wipe your grimy hands occasionally ;-)) .- or am I missing something?

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

A few years ago I saw a guy lay the transmitter down to one side of his airplane before starting it up. The engine started spraying goo profusely in that general direction, and when he picked up the radio it looked like a glazed donut. I thought it was a rather bad turn of events, but he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Judging by his attitude it looked like it must have been business as usual for him.

The more people you meet, the weirder the things you see.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Yeah, like forgetting the carburetor heat and pulling it on final. Gets quiet quickly - Oops, the was the mixture!! Guess I've had more than my share of bonehead plays ;-))

Reply to
Ed Forsythe