MS Flight Sim airplane file --> 3ds format conversion

How to convert Microsoft Flight Simulator's 3d airplane models to 3ds, vrlm, lwo, obj or any other 3d format?

Gmax will export to 3ds file format Gmax comes with MSFS 2004
<Kimin Ilkra> wrote in message

vrlm,

gMax will not directly export to 3ds file format, unless i'm missing something somewhere. If it can I'd really like to know where & how. There are file converters and game packs that I'm aware of that can be used to get models out of gMax into 3ds, but nowhere have I found a direct export to 3ds. If you know how to DIRECTLY export to 3ds please let me know. I know only 2 routes to 3ds (middleman&mdlcommander&deepexploration, tempest's md3 export&milkshape). THX
Jolly Roger wrote:

You're right, GMax will NOT export to .3ds...
Of course, the OP was asking how to convert a .mdl into an editable form, the proper answer to which is you cannot... thankfully!
Bill

Bill, you are wrong. There is a program to convert MDL format to DXF and using Deep Exploration you can convert to MAX, 3ds and many others.
The mdl format must be the 1,029 kilobyte version. So no original Gmax models etc.
CustomPC wrote:

Who cares about OLD models? That program will not convert Max, GMax or FSDS models either. It only will convert the OLD FS98 models made with Aircraft Factory...
But, I don't know anything. I just build FS models for a living... :)
Bill
Well, we all learn a little from these exchanges, so we all benefit in the end.
John

form,
FSDS
Aircraft
X-posts removed....
I love an answer like this!
Kinda reminds me of the old RCOnline.... Red Scholefield hosted our battery forum...
It's been several years, and following exchange may not be verbatim, but it's darn close...
Red had made a comment with which a user vehemently disagreed, and told Red, "Sir, I suggest read the Gates manual regarding the care and feeding of nicad cells."
Red simply commented, "Sir, I suggest you note who WROTE that manual..."
Wotta squelch!! Remember that, Red???<G>
Bill

form,
FSDS
Aircraft
"CustomPC"

Hey... outsider question.... isn't DXF the old AutoCAD format?
Dallas

DXF is their textual drawing exchange format, intended for interchanging drawings with other CAD systems.