3Ds conversion

Is there a package or addon that can convert 3DS files to Solidworks?

Reply to
J Parr

J,

The 3DS file format describes geometric objects with polygon meshes. Since there is no surface or solid data,3DS files can not (as you know) be used in SolidWorks without conversion - with the exception of STL translation.

I'm not familiar with the file format writing options provided by 3D Studio; however, I think STL output (if available) is the only one which SolidWorks can use to import the polygons directly.

Unfortunately, the imported result is ONLY a graphic representation of the object(s) in the 3DS file and they can not be edited or even rendered in SolidWorks.

Rhino3D can import the 3DS file format and provides tools for converting Polygon meshes to Polysurfaces using the MeshToNurbs command.

After such c> Is there a package or addon that can convert 3DS files to Solidworks?

Reply to
POH

Yes, the one and only ShapeWorks. find it at

Mike

Reply to
Baren-Boym Company