3DS files?

What is the best way to take a 3D studio max file and bring it into Solidworks? Is it possible? The only programs I am using are AutoCAD 2002 and Solidworks 2004. Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry

If it is a 3DS polygonal mesh file the only way to bring it into Sw is to use ShapeWorks. ShapeWorks will automatically will convert this file into SolidWorks file as poligonal mesh only. It will not be a smooth surface.

It is much easier to convert SW file into 3DS

Mike

Reply to
Baren-Boym Company

They have some really good translators that may be able to do this. i know they can go from SW to 3DS, not sure about teh reverse??

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

I've recently had some success with VRML, though I had to play with the carriage return/linefeed settings on the export program. Sorry, but I forgot what the successful settings were. The results in Solidworks are a large set of 3d faces, without any color or other rendering information.

It's better than nothing, but this has been the situation for a very long time. Many from the SW community advise me that mesh data is old technology and that I should stop thinking like an Autocad user. The problem is that I have a lot of "old technology" stuff that I would like to use in SW.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
Smiley