Re: need to convert 3ds files to solidworks, any suggestions ?

I saw this old post...

"ShapeWorks Add On will have capabilities of opening 3DS files in SolidWorks in the next release."

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Deri Jones

Alex,

If you have access to Rhino3D, the 3ds file can be read in to it and then exported in one or more formats that SolidWorks will import.

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

If you have access to MDT you can open the file and export as IGES.

Reply to
JDMATHER

Per, even thou you can import a .3ds file into Rhino, I'm not aware of a utility in Rhino to convert the mesh to nurbs, so exporting the file via IGES will export nothing.

mark

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

MeshToNurb.

========================

"Mark Biasotti" wrote ....

Reply to
Jeff Howard

i use polytans the only way i ever got a 3ds file into pro was iges via pro engineer however autocad 2004 will let you import all the 3ds file info into autocad including maps and textures then you can export in a cad format solidworks will read far easier than polys

i only discovered this when i had given autocad a bit of a slating and a veteran user showed me what a dumb ass id been by doing it so easily

this is a sure fire way of doing it easily

Reply to
mikemcdermid

Yes, but mesh to nurb is not what most would want because it simply builds polygonal surfaces from mesh, i.e. it is not smooth but faceted.

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

The only true mesh to nurbs software that I've come across is Raindrop's Geomagic Geomagic Studio which does a true nurbs surface conversion of mesh or cloud point data. BTW... its about $20K last time I look.

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

Dat's true but you didn't say smooth or realistic. 8~)

I agree, though, that suggesting someone go to 3DCafe, etc. looking for models is sending them on a Snipe hunt (if that is the point).

Reply to
Jeff Howard