new gas prices just posted

In model engines, diesel and gasoline burning engines seem to develop less horsepower, but tend to burn far less fuel. In a full-sized
alcohol IC engine -(turbine or piston)- would you think that you would burn significantly more fuel than a petroleum engine?
Alcohol burns darn clean and is renewable- I hope to see it as a primary fuel source too. Methanol is pretty cheap in technical grade; perhaps all that is needed for it to become economical is a way to dry it cheaply.

I thought alcohol fuels produced aldehydes on combustion ? not nice for our lungs ?
CW
On 13 May 2004 07:12:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Sisyphus) wrote:

Ethanol is a very common "filler" for fuel in colder climates because it helps reduce pollution.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com
(Sisyphus)

come
with
Paul McIntosh wrote:

Mmm. It works as a fuel. It is less viscous than gasolene. It requires some engine retuning. It is bulk for bulk less efficient, but its a little lighrer. It aborbs water which gasoline does not. It burns with a clear flame, which gasolene does not.
When I was in S Africa under embargo, and gas was scarce, they laced it with methanol - but only one the high veldt (5000 ft high). Its was a bit low octane for the sea level pressures. Engines would pink badly on it at sea level.
It can be a very good fuel, but engines are not normally tiuned toi run it. The absorption of water is also a pain...

Boy if this price increase keeps up there are going to be a lot of fuel hogs sitting up on blocks. The current generation hasnt had to think twice before buying what they want and go where they want. I can remember gas rationing during WW2. The economy is too wound up.
jim breeyear wrote:

This popped up under similar threads. Oh for the good old days
-- Old Bo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Old Bob's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 4 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t "747