new gas prices just posted

In model engines, diesel and gasoline burning engines seem to develop less horsepower, but tend to burn far less fuel. In a full-sized alcohol IC engine -(turbine or piston)- would you think that you would burn significantly more fuel than a petroleum engine?

Alcohol burns darn clean and is renewable- I hope to see it as a primary fuel source too. Methanol is pretty cheap in technical grade; perhaps all that is needed for it to become economical is a way to dry it cheaply.

Reply to
Sisyphus

I thought alcohol fuels produced aldehydes on combustion ? not nice for our lungs ?

CW

Reply to
C W

Ethanol is a very common "filler" for fuel in colder climates because it helps reduce pollution.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Mmm. It works as a fuel. It is less viscous than gasolene. It requires some engine retuning. It is bulk for bulk less efficient, but its a little lighrer. It aborbs water which gasoline does not. It burns with a clear flame, which gasolene does not.

When I was in S Africa under embargo, and gas was scarce, they laced it with methanol - but only one the high veldt (5000 ft high). Its was a bit low octane for the sea level pressures. Engines would pink badly on it at sea level.

It can be a very good fuel, but engines are not normally tiuned toi run it. The absorption of water is also a pain...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Boy if this price increase keeps up there are going to be a lot of fuel hogs sitting up on blocks. The current generation hasnt had to think twice before buying what they want and go where they want. I can remember gas rationing during WW2. The economy is too wound up.

Reply to
jim breeyear

The Natural Philosopher

This popped up under similar threads. Oh for the good old days

-- Old Bo

this thread:

Old Bob