new insurance ideas

AP, have to admire your optimism. You expect Cop Out Jones to give us anything substantial in regard to the AMA? Too many details could confirm what most of us suspect, details that only he and KK share.

Red S.

hear another modeler's story about

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Three different organizations, three different sets of rules. The rule differences often mean that what's legal in one organization isn't in another.

If one wants to compete in a race sponsored by one of the other organizations they either need to join the other organization or pay an additional $10 fee for one time insurance coverage. The organizations provide significantly less services than AMA, but yet the annual dues are at the same level. This is in spite of having insurance that's way more restrictive. For example, IMPBA's insurance only covers members who are running their boats at an IMPBA sanctioned pond.

The splintering also means that the country is divided up in pockets, which limits the number of nearby clubs.

Having one organization for the entire US would mean everyone would follow one set of rules, would only need to join one organization, might be able to get lower insurance due to the larger number of insured people, and would only have to pay for the overhead of one main office and staff.

Reply to
C G

| If one wants to compete in a race sponsored by one of the other | organizations they either need to join the other organization or pay an | additional $10 fee for one time insurance coverage. The organizations | provide significantly less services than AMA, but yet the annual dues | are at the same level. This is in spite of having insurance that's way | more restrictive. For example, IMPBA's insurance only covers members | who are running their boats at an IMPBA sanctioned pond.

Of course, the AMA insurance will even cover you if you're using model boats. Or cars and rockets, for that matter.

I wouldn't think that boats would need a whole lot of insurance -- it's hard to come up with plausable scenarios where somebody could be seriously hurt due to a boat. I guess a race boat could hit somebody swimming, or the prop could cut somebody's fingers up, or it could jump up on land and hit somebody (like that Bond movie where he jumped over the local sheriff) or somebody could drown trying to recover a dead boat, or perhaps a speed boat could damage a full scale boat but it just doesn't sound very dangerous to me. Are there many incidents that require insurance?

(I guess it doesn't really matter how many real incidents there are ... people want insurance.)

I suspect that the AMA insurance wouldn't cover the ship to ship combat where they shoot ball bearings at each other trying to sink the other's boat :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Yup, the AMA is great for when I'm running my boats somewhere other than at a sanctioned race. Yet another reason I'm glad to be an AMA member! :-) At races, the insurance must be from the sanctioning body.

In general, I agree it's hard to imagine, but it does happen. A couple months ago at a race in London Ontario one of the racers had both legs broken. He was in the pits working on his boat. One of the 1/8 scale hydros lost the radio and came on shore somewhere over 70 MPH.

Accidents with swimmers are highly unlikely, sanctioned activity only takes place on closed ponds. No swimming and nobody out on the lake while boats are running. This rule is very seriously followed by everyone. Engines can only be run in the hot pits. People who are not members of the santioning body are to enter the driving area, hot pits, boat launch area, or the retrieval boat. In general, safety is followed much more than at the typical flying field.

The guys I first started boating with were not so serious about this rule. They had a small plastic rowboat that was used to pick up dead boats. One of them decided to go get his boat while the other was running his outrigger. Guess what happened? You guessed it, the guy ended up torpedoing the rowboat. It was actually rather funny, the idiot in the boat had to lean far to the other side to keep the rigger, and the hole it created, out of the water long enough for him to get to shore. He's lucky the rigger didn't hit him.

Reply to
C G