Newbie Firebird Scout

Hey guys, New to all of this. Today I purchased a firebird scout, Got two terrific flights out of it, on the second flight a bit of a rough landing, not a crash but hit grass with the landing gear and flipped. Now The plane nose dives upon launch (hand). I couldnt find anything in the booklet or website on this problem, thought maybe you guys could help me out. Thanks Luke

Reply to
eculuke

if it flipped , more than likely something bent, broke or out of shape with the tail... Make sure ailerons are level with the tail and not pointing downwards....

Brad..

Reply to
Brad

hey there...if it's anything like the (somewhat rough) landing that i had with my firebird commander...chances are that when you crashed it, it managed to push the motor up into the fuselage just enough to throw the motor out of line. my commander did exactly what you state that your scout is doing. i ended up calling horizon's customer service dept. and they requested i send them the damaged fuselage, and they'd look at it. almost 3 weeks to the day, UPS delivered me a whole new plane, controller and everything to my door. if you need more details on how to do a few simple re-inforcements to the plane before you fly it again....let me know.

tim

Reply to
CDN HoverNut

downwards....

flipped.

anything in

Reply to
eculuke

here are a few writeups on these types of planes...one on the firebird scout, and the second one on the firebird commander...pretty much the same plane!!!

Firebird Scout

Firebird Commander

CDN HoverNut

firebird

eculuke

when you plug the battery in and turn the transmitter on, do the ailerons sit level with the tail and work correctly ?? Is the tail sitting correctly on the tail boom , nice and flat ?? does the propellor look parallel with the fuselage , eg = it`s not pointing up or down ??

the battery flap wouldn`t affect it , but make sure it's firmly closed... i was flying upside down and my battery fell out of my Aerobird extreme.....

Brad...

Reply to
Brad

This happen to mine. It is the tail boom (connects the main body to the tail). It seems it can be jarred out of it's socket. I fixed mine by firmly grasping the tail boom at the base (at the main body) and with a firm upward push... snapping it back into place. To confirm that it is misaligned, look at the Scout from the side. You should notice the tail boom takes a turn down once it leaves the body. If so you need to snap it up back into place.

Richard

CouldBeFlying

I have noticed this directly after it happened and I did exactly as you described to get the rod back in line by snapping it straight. the ailerons seem in line. a fact I didnt include that might shed more light, is that even when i tried to launch it from the ground it would go 7 feet then do a front flip? Hope this helps you help me...... thanks Luke

Reply to
eculuke

I read somewhere on the net that if you fly the Firebird with th

landing gear attached it increases the chances of damaging the circui board on hard landings. Apparently the gear will somehow jam up int the fuse and break the circuit board just enough that it will stil operate to a certain degree. When enough force is exerted to twist o bend the fuse the hairline fracture will widen then you lose control. To test for this, try holding the plane and go full throttle and the wave it in the air back and forth to simulate in-flight forces and se if the plane suddenly goes haywire or shuts off. An even easier tes is to just throttle up and twist the fuse slightly to see if it affect the planes control surfaces. After I read this I just tossed m Firebird landing gear into my "Damage R/C Airplane/Spare Parts Box along with my Firebird Wing. The wing is for another time and post. ;

-- HangSol

this thread:

HangSolo