NiMH battery storage

I have a couple of band new NiMH flight batteries that I am going to store for a month or two.

Should I give them a full charge before storing?

Is there any maintainence i should do during the storage period?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Yes, top them off and check them every month. If you have and use a peak detection charger, then just top them off once a month. NiMh's self discharge just sitting not being used faster than any other battery that I've used.

Reply to
Vance Howard

| > Should I give them a full charge before storing? | >

| > Is there any maintainence i should do during the storage period? | >

| > Thanks, | >

| > Larry | | Yes, top them off and check them every month. If you have and use a peak | detection charger, then just top them off once a month. NiMh's self | discharge just sitting not being used faster than any other battery that | I've used.

Check out the new RayOVac NiMh hybrid battery with a membrane in them. I had a pack made up for my transmitter last March and just topped it off last week. They are 2100mah capacity and the same size as my 700mah nicads that was replaced. The membrane really slows down the self discharge.

Reply to
OldPhart

The Sanyo Eneloop NiMH are great also. They have the shelf life of a disposable battery and the advantages of a chargeable battery, Don't know why the pack manufacturers haven't jumped on this??

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I was going to mention those, but couldn't remember the name of them.

Reply to
Vance Howard

| The Sanyo Eneloop NiMH are great also. They have the shelf life of a | disposable battery and the advantages of a chargeable battery, Don't know | why the pack manufacturers haven't jumped on this??

The TX/RX pack manufacturers are generally very conservative, and these batteries are very new.

How is the internal resistance? How many cycles will they last? When they finally do fail, how do they do it -- gradually, or all at once?

Certainly sounds promising, however.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Those are precisely the question the pack manufacturers should be asking. The few I've contacted either didn't know about Eneloops or they did not appear to be interested. Could it be because of reduced profits caused by longer lasting more reliable packs ? One builder blew me off with a "They're just commercial batteries."??

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Profit margin. If it were not so, you would find 2500ma cells in the packs, not 600.

Reply to
Chuck