Okay Mark, I hate the new RCUniverse

I'll agree with everyone here. RC Universe pretty much sucks. Everything was loading slow. I also didn't appreciate running into an ad, when using the back button to return to a previous page. I couldn't even find any classifieds.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Seewald

They have encountered some bugs in merging the two. RCU has served us well at no expense to us, I think we owe them a little loyalty.

I was not too happy either with what I first saw. I couldn't even answer posts on the forum I moderate.

Let's give Marc a little leeway here and time to sort things out.

Red S. RC Battery Forum Moderator

Reply to
Red Scholefield

What do they ask you to pay for a "subscription"?

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Oh no, so the return to the old format isn't permanent?

Yuck Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

from Red

I don't think we owe him any loyalty at all, read Marks comments and see his attitude to the RCU users concerning this issue. Like it or lump it , freeloaders etc. and closing any threads that had any dissent. That used his loyalty up, don't you think that he owed us a little loyalty. We decided who was the most popular RC forum not him. Started in marketing 28 years ago and that is what the new RCU is designed by and around. The funny thing is that I really think that Mark believes the garbage that he has been fed by the web marketing monsters. Absolutely disgusted by his attitude. Paul

Reply to
uriah heep

Fer crying out loud!

They market it as an online MAGAZINE. In keeping with the magazine THEME, they ask you to "subscribe" instead of registering. Jeez. The "subscription" is FREE, unless you want to donate money to help defray the cost of operating the site.

It's no different, functionality-wise, than RCUniverse. In fact, they use the same software as the old RCU site.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Exactly one diddley and a steaming heap of squat...

Or, is he just paranoid about giving "the man" his information?

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I hope that they don't switch to ASP because it takes for ever to load the page them. I noticed this when I surfed on my daughters computer (Pentuim

120MHz) and it took 30 seconds to load the page
hobbyshop here in Sweden). And I tried at work also (Pentium 400MHz) was also very slow. They says that ASP stands for Active Server Pages but it seems that it would be ACP (Active Client Pages) but I might be wrong.

Regards Jonas

Reply to
Jonas Arvidsson

Add my name to that list. Pop-ups, suggestive sell forced 'options', the pay per view 'premium' crap and cluttered interface just add to the annoyance at the site now malfunctioning (editing, log-ins, cookies). Almost as detestable as McDonalds.

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

I see a few of you have no faith in me. What everyone saw was a site that was encountering some unforseen bugs under load and a few issues in our merge. These did not appear in our dry runs but rather than keep the site up and have everyone deal with it I pulled the plug to fix them up.

The new RCU will be FASTER than the old RCU. We have 9 servers with a total of 25 processors on them. Compare that to just 2 quad proc servers now on RCU. When we fix the bugs the new RCU will not only scream but scale up to 150,000 users.

Nobody got enough time to get accustomed to the new layout. It is easy to navigate and easy to use. 100x easier to post an ad and maintain it than any other forum site or the old RC Airport site. Our rating system tracks both auctions AND classified feedback. This super site encompasses all the suggestions made to me from users over the last year. The forums are virtually identical with a few extra features to allow you to customize your view built into it. Nothing else on the web exists like it. It is faster than vbulletin and more feature rich yet from a user standpoint is almost identical. Just about zero learning curve and it is free.

This is NOT RC Airport's software nor is it RC Universe software. These packages did not do what we needed based on users requests. We have built from the ground up most of these applications and customized everything. The site doesn't look like RC Universe or RC Airport from the homepage but the forums look the same. If you are used to ebay our navigation is not that different except it is categorized and tailored to Radio Control.

All of RCU is free except to sellers. Sellers pay a small fee to post a classified or 20 bucks for a whole year gets you classified ads and auction ads without an insertion fee. Closing fees on auctions are

50% of ebays.

Everything will be fixed up. Speed, logins and so on. Once you get to experience the new RCU with all its added speed and features and usability I am confident you will enjoy what we have worked so hard on for many months to put together.

Last...to those who don't know us. RCU has 4 full time employees to run the site. We don't do this as a sideline. We are all avid RC modelers ourselves. This is not some corporate conglomerate but just a bunch of fellas who built a tool that members asked us to build. Those who like it will visit and those who don't can go elsewhere I guess or come here to whine about how terrible the site it. The initial feedback in my email box has been extremely positive so I'm very encouraged.

If you want to see our homepage and pick apart how hard it is to find stuff...check out this screenshot at this link.

Marc Vigod President RC Universe

Reply to
Marc

Uriah,

Correct, nobody owes me any loyalty at all. Loyalty is given by those who choose to give it. It is not something owed.

We close posts on RCU that are against our rules. A tried and true method that the masses like as proof of RCU's exponential growth. The growth shows our moderators and rules are working to the vast majority of users expectations. To those who think RCU is a free for all...well they go elsewhere to make their own rules. The group that frequents RCU likes how we run it so they come back. Nobody puts a gun to anybody's head. I don't force anyone to go to RCU and nobody forces me to keep it running, improve it or not improve it. Everybody does things of their own freewill.

You are entitled to your opinion as stated below. I don't expect your loyalty nor do you owe it to me. I however, despite your comments, will still work night and day to make the best damn RC website this world has ever seen, period. People will either use it and enjoy it or they won't.

And as far as "like it or lump it" please provide a link to the thread where I said that please. I'm certain those words have not been typed by me ever on RCU.

Marc RC Universe

Marc

I have to agree with the group. I was on it while it was up. I like the old format better. I know it's not up to speed yet. If everyone likes the product, then why change! But that really doesn't matter. The main part that I really dislike is someone else asking me for my credit card info. I will probably stick to the imaa and giant scale for selling items. I do like to read the forums, but I usually take the info for what it's worth. Never know actually how much experience the people posting actually have. If the info works, it works, and if it doesn't...... Just my .02 Jon

Reply to
Jon

audience?).

Reply to
Russ Miller

I think he closed ONE thread, because it was mushrooming out of control. The ignorance of most of the people in that thread was incredible. THE NEW RCU HAS TECHNICAL PROBLEMS AND MARC STATED THAT MUCH, REPEATEDLY. Yet, people kept complaining about the same technical stupid issues over and over and over, ranting and raving as if the problems were intentionally caused by Marc, and were permanent features of the site.

I'm pretty sure he never came out and said "like it or lump it," but some of his responses toward the end of that thread implied it. Frankly, I don't blame him after the beating he took over FIXABLE TECHNICAL ISSUES.

Fer chrissakes people, give it a rest! There's some stuff that needs to be fixed. Let him get the site working first, then pass judgement. You can't condemn the site based on the brief glimpse you got.

I'm absolutely disgusted by YOUR attitude. How about I get a hundred people together and verbally assault you for a few days? Will you still be chipper and congenial?

Yes, I'm a moderator at RCU, but I've only been on the job for about a week. However, I feel no need to be loyal to Marc and RCU. These are my true feelings about the issue. You people are acting like a bunch of ignorant babies. Let Marc and Co. take some time and get the site working before you pass judgement.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Mathew and Red,

Doing just a LITTLE bit of research would have taken you to

They do want you to subscribe. Now it's not nearly as bad as RCU's plan to annoy you into subscribing but it is there.

Other alternate websites...

Larry

Marc,

I'm sure the new layout is fine. And we'll be able to adjust those ugly colors to something more appealing. And it'll be fast even with the increased overhead of the new software and operating systems.

And I don't speak for everyone, just myself when I say that if that was all that was going on, it would be great. But let's be honest and look at the facts.

Facts:

  1. You've entered into a merger with someone who has run two rc websites into the ground.
  2. You don't feel it's enough to charge for additional features. You feel that you should also charge NOT to be annoyed by intrusive ads. Not "pop-ups" but something worse, click-through ads. You can at least block pop-ups. And this is a big thing for me as it's paramount to extortion. It's the attitude of, "Hey, we have all these users and all this content and we can even go against what we said we wouldn't do and you all can't do a thing about it". That's not you Marc, so I'm assuming it comes from reason #1.
  3. You say you're doing this to fullfill the users needs but in the poll I saw (the auction one), the users said they DIDN'T want it. You then went ahead and tried to convince us. You had made up your mind before hand irregardless of the users. Again, what made RCU great is that you always listened to the users so I must again assume it's more the work of #1.

Marc, I still hold out h> I see a few of you have no faith in me. What everyone saw was a site

Reply to
Larry

Credit card info? Where? I can still log in to rcuniverse as before. I have NEVER been asked for credit card info.

Reply to
jeboba

Marc, keep up the good work and don't let these turkeys get you down. I like the site!

audience?).

Reply to
jeboba

A LITTLE bit or research and you would see that I am a subscriber to ALL three of these.

Red S.

Red Scholefield

Marc Wrote

"Sure maybe 10% or 20% can't handle the change. They are welcome to go elsewhere if they so choose. "

Not exact words, but gives the same impression.

-- Dave Bowles

AutoGyros to Zepplins

All for Fun and Fun for All

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at