Old fuel

I am finally getting back into flying after long absence. I have a part gallon of 10% nitro fuel that is about 10 years old. Is it still good?

Reply to
David Figueira

Sure it's good. Just not for any model airplane engines .. :-)

Reply to
CG

Watch out if it's in a metal can. Story in the AMA mag a few years ago about the metal jug exploding when the owner attempted to open it. If I remember right, the metal jug was very rusty.

Just be careful!

Reply to
Dirtnap

If it was in a plastic jug and kept sealed tight it should be ok. You can always try some in your tank and see.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Gee, why take a chance on it wrecking your plane or ruining your engine? fuel is cheap... Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Would you eat 10 year old food from your fridge?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
rick myers

I had an 8 year old gallon of fuel in a metal can. I opened it with no problems and the fuel ran in my engine with no problem.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

About 20 years ago the local guru at our club (a really nice chap, but he couldn't tune engines worth a damn) after a fitful time with a new plane and engine where he got the motor so hot it melted the prop, declared the brand of fuel everyone was using at the time as unfit.

Nearly every club member immediately abandoned their ample supplies and went to the newly recommended brand.

I quietly bought up every gallon of the bad stuff for peanuts and proceded to fly it for the next three or four years. I actually had unopened cases stacked in my shed.

No problem with it going bad at all. Didn't melt any of my props either.

It was sold in metal cans back then never had one blow up on me , but then I never attached the leads from my battery to one.

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

How long do you figure it's good for in plastic jugs? I'm sitting on about four or five cases that are now a year old. (Stored indoors, in my cellar.)

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

According to Buzz at Magnum Fuel, it has almost unlimited shelf life if it's sealed, protected from huge temperature variations, and kept out of sunlight.

If you're afraid to use it, you can ship it to me and I'll "dispose" of it properly through my TT-61.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

John Hawkins - From Canada's Atlantic Coast

John Hawkins

It is just fine... There is a myth that says any fuel over a year old is bad, but don't believe it. I've kept some that long in a SEALED, PLASTIC container with no problems. Don't ask about the metal container that had fuel lines and fittings in the lid. Any one would know that was bad!!

Reply to
Joe D.

Reply to
GaijinGig

Several years ago, the story went around, and there was mention in MA, that a modeler attempted to open a gallon of fuel in a metal can, that was about twenty years old...

As he did so, the contents exploded, and the modeler was severely burned. There was a discussion about the possibility of the nitromethane becoming unstable over time...

Does anyone recall the particulars??

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Bung it in the wife's car on top of a full tank, not in a model.

Vic

Reply to
The Shaw's

Sorry, but NO fuel container would be considered sealed for 10 years. The polyethylene and polypropylene jugs are not impervious to water and also many components of fuel will age and change composition.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

And, we get a couple dozen requests a year to analyze why someones engine is running like crap and won't adjust properly after storing their fuel over the winter. Fuel is cheap compared to the flameout 50 feet beyond the runway over the swamp!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
rick myers

I once had a 21 year old can of Cox fuel that I had found in my older brother's stuff from his childhood. I ran every bit of it through a Black Widow engine, and it ran great!

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds