Old fuel

Also guy's. A gallon of 15% coolpower costs me 15 dollars in this part of the country. I don't get to fly that often and it takes me 2 or 3 years to go through a gallon. I am not going to throw it away just because it is left over from last flying season. And I have also successfully used fuel that was 10 years old with out problems. Just make sure there is no sediment in the bottom, that you kept it in a dark temperature controlled room in a sealed container. The plastic jugs it comes in now will take way longer than 10 years to decompose.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Chris,

You should be getting your fuel from Southern Modelcraft. The price for fuel from them is very similar to prices in the US.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

No problem with the fuel - if in doubt, try it out!

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

SOME engines tollerate the older fuels better than others. SOME fuel goes south faster than others. If it works, go for it. If it don;t, then it does make good ant killer!! I have several gallons that are quite old, but I have used it with no ill effects. There are just about as many answers as there are pilots on this newsgroup!!

Reply to
Checkursix

There were some guys a number of years back that flew here in the Carolinas. They left some fuel... Wilbur says it is ok to use, however Orville is not so sure.

Reply to
W4JLE

The problem with trying it out is the resulst if it DOESN'T work properly. My planes are worth more than a fresh gallon of fuel.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

refer to the response from at least one manufacturer =

I concur from 40+ years experience that fuel bottles stored in cardboard boxes in a cupboard etc last for many years -- just like a good whisky, it matures with age providing that the seal remains intact and that moisture is not absorbed in any quantity. Over the years, many modellers have referred their stock of motors, planes etc to my small private motor/airplane "museum" and if the fuel "looks & smells" AOK then it is used without problems. Any sign of sediments or "floaty bits" it is simply discarded or used as engine cleaning fluid. see also many other good tips from Coolpower (Morgan's) at
regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Links

A.T.

You seem very adamant about this, Paul. Does your inclination not to use old fuel come from a bad experience, or are you simply a very cautious person?

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

No one said you could'nt run it on the ground or in a spare engine on a test stand...

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

One of the biggest problems reported on the board is engines that flame out while in the air. Ground running just doesn't show this.

You do what you like. My planes are worth too much to take chances with a few dollars worth of fuel.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

What kind of damage could I do to an engine from using bad fuel? Id like to know, because I don't fly as often as I would like to and I have quite a supply of old fuel in my basement.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Just wondering if I am missing something. I had a gallon of fuel years ago that wouldn't run right. I could barely get the engine to start, and when it did it wouldn't idle. Of course I dumped it out and got a new jug of fuel and everything worked great again. With all of my old fuel in the basement now, so far so good. But if using it could potentially harm an engine, I will think twice. I'm a cautious person by nature.

I'm just w>

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I'm not totally certain but I seem to recall it was actually diesel fuel. There was something about crystals around the lid and the fact that pure ether becomes highly unstable. Personally I put it down to urban myth or there was some other factor involved.

Reply to
Brian

Robbie,

The higher volatile elements (alcohol/ethanol/etc) of the fuel we use can breakdown to their gaseous state over time. Unless vacuum sealed, few containers for fuel can contain & protect the fuel for extended periods of time.

It's a crap shoot I'd rather avoid, YMMV. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

So, you are saying you don't know how to land without an engine running ?

Reply to
Bob

I am saying that you don't always have the choice as to when or where the engine will quit.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I think you answered your own question. Your fuel was way past the sell by date. If it had been a bit better it may have fooled you into thinking it was OK.

The whole point of this is why risk $500 worth of plane for a few dollars in fuel.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The bottom line is that you won't hurt your engine by trying to run old fuel through it, assuming you adjust the mixture for correct running (ie, you don't run it lean). If the engine is running well with correct tuning - tested via pinching the line, holding the aircraft vertical etc. - there should be no reason why you cannot fly with it.

I think the gist of Paul's concern is the risk of an unexpected dead-stick (flame-out, whatever) while flying. He appears to believe this to be an unacceptable risk, the possible downside being the loss of the aircraft while attempting to land without the engine running.

That said, I know a number of fliers who will fly their last flight until they run out of fuel and have no qualms about landing dead-stick. Whether you choose to take the risk of this happening depends on how comfortable you (and your plane) are with dead-stick landings.

Russ.

Reply to
Russ