OS Max carb stuck

Hi there, the other day I dug a 15 year old OS Max 35FP engine out of my shed, it was stuck up with old fuel. After much cleaning the engine is now fine. BUT the carb rotor is stuck. The Carb is a 3A. I have removed every screw I can see from it, but the rotor does not turn at all. According to the exploded view the rotor isn't threaded, so does anybody know how it stays in the carb body? or what I can do about this? should I just try to knock the rotor out of carb body?

thanks for any replies,

Iceberg

Reply to
Iceberg

Gentle heating may be a good idea -- if I had it down to just aluminum pieces I'd consider boiling it in water to loosen up the gunk. If it was my own carb I'd probably try gentle heat from a torch on the carb body but that's because a) I know I can do that and not get the thing too hot, b) I'm stupid and c) I know that Perry probably sells a replacement carb :).

I've seen soaking in hot anti-freeze (propylene glycol) mentioned here, as well as carb cleaner, but haven't tried either one -- carb cleaner is, after all, designed to remove gunk from pot metal/aluminum assemblies, so using on an actual _carburator_ shouldn't be that much of a stretch. Both of these come with caviats and methods that tend to work well; do a web search on how to do it right.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Ha, I pulled out an old OS .46 SF the other day and had the exact same problem. My solution was easy. Go in the closet, get the parts engine and trade out carbs. I've soaked it in carb cleaner and several other solvents and oils to no avail. I'm sure that heating is going to be the answer but what the heck, my engine is running. So now cleaning the stuck carb is a "some day" thing.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

Heat will work, but it's not necessary to get out the flame thrower. :-)

Iceberg, put the throttle arm back on and put the carb in the oven at

250-300 degrees (F). Take it out, wearing gloves, after about 10 minutes. The heat should have softened the gummed castor enough to let you rotate the barrel a little. Pour in a little alcohol (rubbing, denatured, glow fuel) and continue rotating the barrel. Keep pouring in small amounts of alcohol and rotating it until the alcohol comes out clear. Then put it back in the oven for a few minutes to evaporate the alcohol, take it out and lube it up with some light machine oil. I've done this on several engines over the last year and it worked every time.
Reply to
C G

Just use your hot air gun on the carb.

Just stuck because the old oil has hardened.

See many of these on the service bench and have never not been able to get them working.

Works on stuck engines also, just takes more heat.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

If you haven't managed to free this yet, you could try a few drops of model diesel fuel - the ether and kerosene content make it a good penetrating oil.

I use both diesel and glow engines, so always have diesel fuel to hand, and it has always worked well as an "engine freer upper" for me.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher