pick-up with bed liner -- transporting airplanes

Thanks for your offer David; I appreciate it.

I was thinking of a PVC pipe rack initially, but storing the thing would be an issue. Although I'm guessing it could be made without gluing certain joints to allow flat storage....

Another issue might be suitability for different aircraft. For instance, one airplane I bring to the field often is a SIG Ultimate Fun Fly bipe. It stays assembled, so it wouldn't fit easily in a rack designed for fuses/wings. My other airplanes include very small and pretty large ones, so I need a lot of flexibility. I usually bring two or three airplanes to the field at a time.

Right now, I'm thinking about a pegboard arrangement with some foam blocks, bungees and lots of Velcro.... a combination of David and jeboba's suggestions.

Fred, I'll keep the gas can thing in mind; thanks for the warning. I can do enough damage to myself and my airplanes without an explosion of any kind!

Thanks again guys for all the ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Take it easy (and stay warm... the forecast is for -15 tonight here in upstate NY), Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

James D Jones

I store mine standing on it's end posts beside the garage for now. I have considered a couple of hooks on the wall so I don't have to move it when I mow.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Forgot that I already had some pics - I posted them at the binary site. The wing posts could be just pushed in rather than glued.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

I dont have a truck but I do have a tinny car (2008 Suzuki SX4 hatch back) that I was able to get 7 planes in the back. I know if this will help but but I was ably to stack them. You may be ably to do something like it just with out stacking.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: P5240381.jpg | |Download:
Reply to
Baldone42

Nice collention of planes. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Have you considered using a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" ply in the bed, then attach screw eyes into the ply and use bungee cords to hold everything down/in place ?

When I had my truck this is what I did to keep everything in place (I had a cap on mine so I put small casters on the underside of the ply so I could just drop the tailgate and pull the ply and the planes out)

Reply to
Ted Campanelli