r/c planes and pacemakers

My father recently had a pacemaker implanted in his chest and he is upset that he may have to give up his beloved hobby. I know it probably depends on the model of pacemaker he has and also the type of transmitter he uses- but if someone could give me some general info or tell me what specefic info you need to know I would be ever so grateful. Does anyone have members of their club that uses a pacemaker? Thanks

Barbara

Reply to
barbara beardsley

| My father recently had a pacemaker implanted in his chest and he is upset | that he may have to give up his beloved hobby. I know it probably depends on | the model of pacemaker he has and also the type of transmitter he uses- but | if someone could give me some general info or tell me what specefic info you | need to know I would be ever so grateful.

Are microwave ovens still a concern for pacemaker users?

Microwaves work at about 2400 mHz. Our transmitters transmit at 72 mHz. So the frequencies are totally different, but the emitted power is probably similar -- our transmitters transmit at about 0.5 watts, and a microwave probably leaks around 5 watts of power (that's just a guess about the microwave, however.)

I'd tell him to ask his doctor. Have him tell the doctor that his trasmitter transmits at 72 mHz at 1/2 watt (unless he uses the ham bands or is in another country, in which case the frequency will be different), and the doctor can look up in the pacemaker specifications if that's a danger, maybe call up the manufacturer.

I doubt there's a problem, but I'd strongly suggest checking it with the doctor. Who probably doesn't know, but would know who to ask or where to look.

The type of transmitter he uses won't be an issue -- they all pretty much transmit the same.

| Does anyone have members of their club that uses a pacemaker?

Got me.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

FYI:

particularly, section 3.7

Reply to
Bob Monsen

Hi

I apologise for bad taste, but I have this mental picture of an elderly gentleman, arms outstretched, zooming round the sky like an aerobatic Superman!!

Regards - (and once again, no offence intended - just my warped sense of humour)

KGB

Reply to
KGB

Check first with his Doctor, and then with the Pacemaker manufacturer. Don't rely on heresy.

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Barbara, This is indeed a concern. As mentioned here, check with your doctor and the pacemaker manufacturer. Holding the transmitter close to your chest as we do when flying might not be to good. The frequency of the transmitter is of little concern but the power of the transmitter is. As transmitted energy decays according to the square law of physics, That is, if you double the distance from the transmitter, the energy is one forth. If the pacemaker is susceptable to RF energy in close proximity to it, possibly your Dad could rig up a 'buddy' box arrangement and be at least ten feet from the transmitter. What a nice daughter you are to try and find out about this for your Dad. Best Wishes, Gene

Reply to
Gene

That's the ticket. Also, in terms of relative risk, one would expect cell phones to be much worse than an R/C transmitter, but again, Lyman's advice is the best.

Reply to
John Miller

What the others said about checking with the doctor.

And keep in mind, the potential hazard isn't just from your fathers transmitter, though that is the greatest potential. But also from every transmitter you'll find at the flying field and in the hobby shops he frequents. So you're looking at basically the 72-75 MHz band (he may someday want a car or boat) with modulation schemes of AM, FM, PCM and PPM. And you may want to error to the high side and say max power out of 1 or even 1.5 Watt just to be safe.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Did you mean hearsay? Drinking canned beer, thats heresy...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

find or make a metalshielded shirt, or jacket. ?

Reply to
Dingo

Why not a buddybox with an extended cable? That way, he could be far enough from the transmitter to be out of harm's way.

Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Thank you all for your replys. My computer crashed and just got it up and running today- My Dad did inquire of the manfacturer of the pacemaker, it is indeed shielded, and interference from the transmitter and such is infintesimal. And KGB, your reply was FUNNY, I showed it to my father and he was cracking up, good to see him laugh again, so thank you.

Barbara

Reply to
barbara beardsley

Get that fellow out flying now. :) mk