Radio question - Japan/US

Hi,

I have a JR Propo PCM9X radio that I purchased in Japan. Currently I have a 72 Mhz RF module installed inside it. My question is, will I be able to use this radio (legally, that is) if I bring it back to the US? How about the RF module?

- MB

Reply to
somewildmonkey

The FCC would be the best one to ask, or, JR. This FCC page says it must be FCC certified:

Here is the FCC home page:

Jarhead

On 17 Dec 2006 15:47:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

I'm neither a lawyer nor a radio technician, but I believe that all of the frequency manipulation takes place in the module.

So my bet is that you may use the radio legally.

I'm assuming that the module is tuned to one of the US frequencies, of course, in the 72 Mhz band.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

| I have a JR Propo PCM9X radio that I purchased in Japan. Currently I | have a 72 Mhz RF module installed inside it. My question is, will I be | able to use this radio (legally, that is) if I bring it back to the US? | How about the RF module?

I thought that Japan didn't use 72 MHz, but upon looking it up, it appears they do --

However, they seem to have a lot fewer 72 MHz channels, which makes me wonder what the size of them are. If they're 10 KHz like in the US, and if the channels match (they appear to) then you ought to be good

-- it may not be technically legal, but it would at least be safe, but if they're bigger than 10 KHz then you may interfere with other things (and they'll interfere with you.)

I'd suggest calling/emailing JR. Write down all the numbers and marks on the module and they should be able to tell where it's legal to use it.

At worst, you'll have to replace your module, which will cost under $100 (just under $100 for a synthesized one) or send it into JR.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The Japanese 72 Mhz frequencies are the same ones we use here. I bought a JR XP8103 in Japan in 2000 which uses Ch 53 (72.850 Mhz) and used it over there for a couple of years. It also uses a freq module and is the same radio sold as the X-3810 in the US. When I came back to the US I sent it to Horizon Hobby to have them check that it was on the same frequency as US Ch 53. They said it was OK as is and didn't charge me for the service. I just paid for the shipping. If you have any doubts, send it to Horizon. So you are flying Mode 1?

Reply to
Max

Hi, thanks everyone for the replies.

I've been using channel 54 here which the guys down at the local club set me up with. I am a complete newbie by the way. Yes, I'm using Mode 1. This is a sailplane, by the way.

Anyone in the Boston, MA area? That's where I'll be located for a while anyway.

Reply to
somewildmonkey