RC Flight simulators

I bought the Reflex simulator and like it. I almost had to bribe a youngster to let me try it while at the WRAM show. I was told I could scan in my airplane . Is it easily done?? jim

Reply to
jim breeyear

Anyone with a personality has opinions. Anyone with an opinion is called a troll. Get used to it. I did.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo

M-M, You sound like a troll, post like a troll, and feel like a troll '-)) I'll go along with Ed and give you the benefit of the doubt. You are not a troll and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. As I said, I have all three sims loaded and I cycle between them many times a day, or at least I did before I really got hung up on AFPD. Now the only reason I don't sell G3 is so I can allow others to drop by and compare all three for themselves. Please believe me when I say I was rooting for Real Flight since I have about $900 invested in their sims ( Real Flight, Real Flight Deluxe, G2, G3, and all five add-ons). In addition I have friends who are expert pilots who have evaluated all three and arrive at the same conclusion - AFPD is the best and G3 is not ready. To support these observations I have compiled a list of some of the G3 problems. Those that are not mine I have annotated with the contributor's display name (from the Real Flight G3 forum). Check this out:

  1. Models hit invisible obstructions (usually above trees).
  2. Can't size the window in *Window* mode.
  3. All of the G3 models I have flown will land themselves (hands off)!
  4. Some of the G2 models fly more realistically than the G3s.
  5. The Pitts is inclined to roll sharply to the left on T.O.
  6. The Pitts will nose over when speed dissipates on virtually any landing.
  7. Can't set T.O. position as easily as in G2.
  8. Stuttering after T.O. even with adequate frame rates.
  9. Requires to much computer to run with everything turned on/up. (My box = Intel P4 2.8GHz, 1GB OCZ PC4000 RAM, ATI 9800 Pro, WD Raptor 74GB HD + 2 WD
160GB JB Drives, etc.,)
  1. Taylorcraft (Add-On4) will not fly inverted - Not enough down elevator.
  2. Multiplayer Mode (not online) will not save settings. Each time I access multiplayer I have to get rid of the ^%$#& Nextar trainer and re-select the aircraft I was flying in the previous session.
  3. Can't use the G3 controller with G2 USB! or vice versa. Since I use both
+AFPD, I have 3 controllers on my desk *and* a transmitter that I have to switch between the G2 and G3 controllers. Cumbersome!
  1. Can't plug transmitter directly into USB bus (with a dongle). I should be able to use my transmitter without the G3 (G2) controller.

Peefiftyone fan:

  1. Screen resolution needs to be fixed every time I launch the program.
  2. All the planes seem harder to fly than in reality.
  3. I still get sound stuttering problems (on 2 different PC's).
  4. AnistophicFiltering slider (1-16) has no effect on image quality
  5. Selecting aircraft is very slooooow (confirmed on 2 fast PC's)
  6. Very hard to fly the P-51 inverted seems like not enough elevator to control easily.
  7. SplitScreen multiplayer is useless unless you could do it w/a jumbo monitor or dual screens.
  8. I have not been able to connect to an online multiplay session yet.
  9. Editing aircraft is very complicated -was easier in G2.
  10. Selecting aircraft is very slooooow (confirmed on 2 fast PC's)...

YBLee:

  1. XP "Auto'Standby" mode causes periodic re-boots on my PC.
  2. Norton's AntiVirus 2005 "Auto-Protect" mode causes G3 to crash when trying to boot my PC:
  3. Heli's melt into the tarmac after crash like sinking into QuickSand.

Rewithey:

  1. Actually, all crashed parts of any bird - heli or plank - sink in to the ground like quicksand.

Progneto:

  1. This may seem insignificant but the help manual needs some page numbers. For example: I was looking for how to set the takeoff position of an airplane. The index shows it is on page 31 but how in the world do I find page 31 without any page numbers? Editor: Progneto couldn't find any reference to "Set T.O. Position."

Maverick0408:

  1. Screen resolution always lost it's settings everytime I restart G3.
  2. Frame rates drops suddently when hovering or when you crash.
  3. Heli throttles stick is not proportionnal, you have to put full throttle to get the heli in the air.
  4. Graphics hardware settings are not operating...
  5. Airplanes flies like (expletive deleted ).
  6. 3d is unrealistic.

Huey:

  1. If you touch down on any surface other than the earth (barn floor, castle floor, top of a water tower, etc..) with a heli, the model is unstable... it will start to shake, and will eventually tip over into the surface and crash.
  2. The full-screen v windowed mode handling for some areas of the simulator are odd. If you're in full-screen mode and you want to select another model... the sim has to pop back to windowed mode, and then back to full-screen when it's been selected.
  3. Refresh rates are lower than G2.

Tally Ho! Ed

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Hi Jim, Did you try any of the other sims at the show? Which ones? I'm particularly interested in how the Reflex compared with the AFPD??

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

AND the others are any different? I also have G2.

I happen to like AFPD...you like realflight...

both of us know the only thing of real practical value is actually flying RC itself....

just my opinion....

cheers Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo". "If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask. His reply:  "you a dinosaur"

Reply to
astroflyer

Thanks for this contribution, Ed.

I'm thinking about buying something newer in sims than the G2 that I presently have and this information is most useful.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Reply to
Peter and Ruth Baylinson

I like the Dave Brown Flight Sim. It was the first such of these creatures that I ever owned. I bought mine in early 93, IIRC. Unfortunately, my program disk got mangled somehow, but I still have the controller.

Ed Cregger TAS

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo

If you find out how to do it, please tell me too. I'm just getting into some of this stuff. At the Reflex XTR website I tried downloading about four or five of the free shareware models, but got as far as the part where you pay $0.00 for them, and the thing just seem to do nothing, althought it said it was ready to download. Ever have any luck with this? Paul

Reply to
Paul Ryan

Reply to
Redhart

Spending time on stupid toys is a life.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

You're welcome Ed. Stick with the G2, it's pretty good and If you can find access to the AFPD give it a whirl you may like it :)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

That IS their life. Maybe the bad health fairy will visit you some day. We'll see what you do when it happens.

Ed Cregger TAS

"Redhart" wrote

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo

I think that that is exactly what I am going to do. I'm in no hurry anyway. G2 has been lots of fun.

Ed Cregger TAS

Reply to
Ed Cregger

That's what I came away with after trying out the different sims all day at the WRAM show- none of them are that much better than my G2 to warrant another purchase.

I'm a die-hard Mac user who only got a PC for the Realflight, and that's all I use the PC for.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

Hi Ed,

I've got the Dave Brown simulator V4.x (files dated 1995) that I am never going to use. If you send me your address I'll send you the disk. My email is ahorne1atcomcastdotnet. The controller I use on G2.

Regards,

Art

Reply to
Art K6KFH

Thanks much, Art. Check your email.

Ed Cregger TAS

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, many of the complaints you listed have either already been fixed, or never existed in the first place.

If you want to appear fair, you should have corrected that list.

For instance (with .377 update) - The "invisible obstructions" are all but gone. Screen resolution is now persistent. Anisotropic Filtering fixed (now uses card settings). Selected aircraft only slow FIRST time it is ever selected (builds data) P-51 flies perfect inverted - always did. You can now touch down on any object.

Other complaints are duplicated, unique to that user, or are questionable to begin with (others are quite fair).

RF G3 was released too early and they deserve a lot of criticism for that. However, to be fair, they should be given proper credit for the progress and improvements that have come since. With the latest update, I am having a ball with G3. A bunch of incredible repaints have come along (thanks peef), and some have been coupled with some tuning of the aircraft (45% Ultimate is a BLAST to fly).

There is one other thing you failed to mention, G3 is the only one that offers MultiPlay, which adds a LOT to my enjoyment of the sim.

"Ed Forsythe" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reply to
Jim H

Hi,

An impressive video of Aerofly Pro (that does indeed not say how realistic it flies), nice to look at after these harsh discussions here :

Olivier

Reply to
tx2tx

Thank you one and all for your input about RC Flight Sims.

So long for now.

Swede

Reply to
swede