RC Flight simulators

Reply to
AirMan

Now *that's* what this hobby is about - lending a helping hand. That was wonderful offer Art. Thanks for renewing my faith :-) Some of you newbies take note. .

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Hi Ed, It went out on Wednesday. You should get it soon.

Enjoy!

Art

Reply to
Art K6KFH

I just have to get my 2c worth in .I have a p4 3.8 ghz running at 4.2 a ati radion 9800 pro 256 .2 gig of pc 3200 ram everything you guys have said about g3 is true i have sent my info to knifeedge to see if they can get a fix . I also have a p2 3.2 with the same specs as the other and it won't run right on it either . Product needs a lot of work .hope they get it right.. thanks If it is worth doing "do it Right" :)

Reply to
twostik

Ed, I have G3, and tweaked the planes to where I like it. It's really not the sim that's your problem, but the models you're flying. The flight model in G3 is different from G2. I don't think it unreasonable that the same planes "feel" different in each. I find it more reassuring than disconcerting that this is so.

Fixed since before the heli download. I'm pleased with the graphics and collision detection now.

None that I tried fly or land themselves.

The models need some tweaking. Move some ballast around. Change the control throws.

So, fix it. Would you condemn the real model if it wasn't trimmed on your first flight?

ditto.

Add a few TO positions in the airfield editor. Hit 'X' to cycle through them. How hard is that?

You obviously don't have enough frame rates or CPU. The stuttering seems to happen most when you fly close to something; loading the collision network is my guess.

G3 is a real pig, for sure. I've been quite pleased since buying a GeForce

6600GT. Other specs are similar.

Edit the model. Give yourself enough down elevator. Move the CG around.

A PITA, but hardly damning.

Alas, market realities means we're stuck with copy protection on anything worthwhile. The software won't even start without the dongle/Interlink connected.

I stopped moaning after discovering the frame rate hit in Window mode isn't too horrible.

Trim; CG. Really. But hard to reconcile with #4.

Anisotropic. It takes effect the next time you start. Slide it to 16, and then exit. :-) Write again if you haven't found the ini file setting to fix it back to something reasonable.

The graphics card makes a big difference. No problems here, though, at least nothing that I would characterize as "slooooow".

Control throws. CG. Trim.

I have three monitors, two hooked to the GeForce. (It's still useless, but that's cuz I don't have any friends.)

Same. Do you care to host a fly-in?

It is different. I bitched for a while, too, but now can't remember why.

At the risk of repeating myself, see my comments to 18.

Hit a key once in a while.

Norton's anything is worse than any virus I ever caught.

And they don't fly well at all afterward.

I sometimes fly from the balcony of the Spanish house. Planes and helis sink through even after good landings.

There's your problem. You don't need no steenking manual.

A PITA for sure. See #14.

Again, alas, they are pretty optimistic about CPU, especially in regard collision detection. Not a problem if you don't crash, though. Not a problem on my system, even when I do. 2.8 GHz, 1 GB ram.

All work fine here, although it wouldn't be difficult to calibrate the controller, or modify the controller curves. I loaded down the Dominion 90 to almost 30 lb take off weight, just for fun.

All work fine here. Except for 14, of course.

Almost all are trimmed for shit, but clean up pretty nice.

Brightness; contrast. Mine is quite pleasant, even if not absolutely photorealistic.

Yes, quicksand as noted elsewhere.

Yup. Kinda at odds with #34, don't you think?

All said, it would sell better if everything worked the way we like right out of the box. It's reassuring, to me at least, that almost all the complaints are really setup and configuration issues. Just the odd nits of quicksand, and forgetting full-screen resolution remain. If your PC can handle it, G3 is quite good.

Reply to
Boat

I'll make this short.

He's complaining the P-51 doesn't fly well inverted without trimming it.

Well, duh.

m-m

Reply to
M-M

| 9. Requires to much computer to run with everything turned on/up. (My box = | Intel P4 2.8GHz, 1GB OCZ PC4000 RAM, ATI 9800 Pro, WD Raptor 74GB HD + 2 WD | 160GB JB Drives, etc.,)

Are you saying you don't have enough computer? (And what does your hard drive have to do with anything?)

As for `everything turned on/up', well, they (they = game developers) try to make the software work on a large number of the computers out there, and they let you turn off features to make it run acceptably on slower computers, but also let you turn them on if your computer can handle it to take advantage of your fast computer. This is a very good thing.

Quite often games are even released that allow you to turn the resolution and other features up so high that no currently available computer can use those settings and still get a decent frame rate. Again, this is a good thing -- give it a year or two, and computers that fit the bill probably will be available.

I'm hoping that your computer is plenty fast to run RFG3 with most graphics features turned on.

And if your (well, not yours, Ed, but other readers) computer can't run RFG3 at all, they do still sell RFG2 and you could even get the original Real Flight on Ebay or something if your computer is really old.

Disclaimer: I don't have RFG3. I refuse to pay $200 to buy RFG3. I paid $200 for RFG2, then $80 more for a USB controller (in retrospect, this was money wasted) -- I've spent enough on this stuff. The $25 merchandise rebate for owners of RFG2 is an insult.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Well I personally love my RF G3 with interlink controller.I use my Futaba

Reply to
AirMan