Re: Dell Computers....was..... When You Hear The Heavy Accent

< snip >

As I said, I love my Compaq. I didn't mention HP at all. Why? Because they do build trash. 1 HP PC, and 3 HP printers have all been consigned to the trash heap in the last 5 years. From normal home use. The latest to die was a 697C printer. When Compaq and HP were about to merge, I recieved a survey from Compaq asking for a consumers take on the merger. My response was "don't do it, they will drag you down to thier level, which is rock bottom". I've had several conversations with Compaq tech support, and they have always been right on the money with advise and accurate with all technical questions. HP tech support actually has eclipsed AOL's tech support in applied stupidity. My fear is that Compaq's support crew has been diluted by dolts. Maybe next time, I will "roll my own".

Reply to
chooch

We have a HP photosmart 7150 printer and touch wood has been fine

Reply to
jam

I personally prefer Epson inkjets, but after the first year, any of them are just trash if they break; less expensive to replace than fix. My current one is an Epson 1280.

HP still makes the best lasers, though. I have a 2200DTN on my home network, and will probably never have to buy another.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I guess different people have different experiences - I wouldn't buy any printer other than a HP. Bought my first HP back around '87 when the ink jets first came out. It worked faithfully, in a business environent, churning out page after page, until1999. Always worked, beautiful print quality, until it gave up the ghost, and since I decided I now wanted a colour printer, chose not to have it fixed.

Bought an Epson - BIG BIG mistake. Bloody heads clogged up all the time - had to clean them EVERY time I wanted to print. Took it back twice, but clogged heads persisted. So, gave it away, (I was too honest to sell that heap of garbage) after 6 weeks and bought another HP, which is still working fine, tho now owned by a friend. With a new computer card I wanted a USB printer so bought a HP 930C - a delight to use - photo prints are beautiful, text is crisp, and altho I only use it now and again since I have retired it always prints perfectly even after sitting for weeks and weeks between uses.

I love HP printers - wouldn't buy anythng else these days

David

jam wrote:

Reply to
QuietDavid

I believe HP printers are actually just re-labeled Canons, aren't they?

Reply to
Froggy

Please tell me you are joking Froggy, I would hate to think you are that silly.

Reply to
wannandcan

OTOH, I still have a LaserJet III in daily use...

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

Absolutely NOT!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Talk about bullet proof! The Apple LaserWriter II (a clone of the LJ3) was (and is) a great printer if it's still working. Repair parts are non-existent anymore, as are toner cartridges for a decent price.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

"Brian Paul Ehni" wrote in message news:BC98DCCF.5768% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net...

Waah! My favorite printer part & service web site is gone (had a fantastic search option in using an exploded parts diagram, description (general text), or Part#). Dang! Another Dot.gone! Now we go to the backup site which offers diagrams as well (sort of)

Simply searching for Laserwriter II, I find diagram and parts (with pricing) Diagram Number Part Number Description Prices and Alternates Where Used

SX-2SC 661-0428 Controller, Apple LW II SC,New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-810-24 FB1-0242-000 Roller, Lower (Rubber),New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-370- 8 FB1-0303-000 Roller, Delivery, Upper Prices & Alternates Models List RA1-3851-000 Roller, Paper Pick-up, New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-351- 3 RA1-3865-020 Registration Roller, Lower Prices & Alternates Models SX-351- 4 RA1-3869-000 Registration Roller, Upper Prices & Alternates Models SX-350- 5 RA1-3909-000 Roller, Separation, A Prices & Alternates Models SX-350- 6 RA1-3910-000 Roller, Separation, B Prices & Alternates Models SX-810-13 RA1-3963-000 Cap, Roller Prices & Alternates Models SX-810-16 RA1-3968-000 Fixing Roller, Upper (Teflon),New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-370- 4 RA1-3976-000 Roller, Delivery,New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-380- 1 RA1-4056-000 Roller, Delivery Prices & Alternates Models SX-104- 1 RA1-4114-000 Plate, DC Controller Mounting Prices & Alternates Models SX-351-20 RA1-4322-000 Shaft, Roller Prices & Alternates Models SX-350- 7 RA1-4632-000 Shaft, Roller Prices & Alternates Models SX-380- 8 RF1-0948-000 Roller Prices & Alternates Models SX-340- RG1-0931-060 Paper Pick-up Roller Ass'y, SX, New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-260- RG1-0934-000 Pick-up Roller Drive Ass'y Prices & Alternates Models SX-810-32 RG1-0966-030 Cleaner Unit, Fixing Roller,New OEM Prices & Alternates Models SX-930- 2 RG1-1250-000 DC Controller (300dpi)NEW Apple P/N 661-0426 Prices & Alternates Models

Reply to
Art Marsh

Not a Clone Brian, HP manufactured the LWII for Apple.

Reply to
wannandcan

As they did for most Apple LaserWriters.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I am not 100% sure Froggy, but I think you might be thinking about Apple Printers - Apple in the early days had their printers made by Canon, then later on switched to HP.

I haven't owned a Canon printer, tho last week I had a Canon Multi thingo (MP 190?) here for testing for a friend (it wouldn't print for my friend). The test prints I did with it were very nice, and it was pretty fast - it was a bit faster than my HP, but the HP was driven by my 200mhz Mac, and the Canon was connected to my 2.6 gighz Windows comp so not a fair comparison. I thought the print quality was comparable, but I didn't print out any photos.

David

(I still haven't fixed the pr> >

Reply to
QuietDavid

Apple inkjets were made by Canon; Lasers by HP. Towards the end of Apple printer sales, the inkjets were also made by HP, but only for a short period of time.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

If I remember correctly the early hp laserjet print engines were built or designed by canon. Kinda like having a honda designed engine in a gm.

Richard

QuietDavid wrote:

Reply to
Richard Wilson

Some of them use the same print cartridges as Lexmark (IBM brand).

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The only trouble I hav with them is the price of teh ink cartridges!!!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I've got 4 HP printers, all still working like champs. LaserJet III (circa

1990) still chugging along (40,000+ pages), DeskJet 1120 (got it in 1998) keeps on working, wife uses a 932 all the time, and my latest, Business Inkjet 2230 has printed over 12,000 pages, many of them large color images, in just over a year's use. Note that the machines that keep on ticking are business class items. The cheap home oriented ones won't hold up - by the time you've spent as much on replacement ink as the machine cost, it probably is time to replace it. Same for Canons, Lexmarks, Epsons. They all see the home market as a disposable market.

For those concerned about ink cost - if you print that much, look for the higher end machines that use larger, separate tanks for each color. You'll make up in ink savings the extra cost of the printer, and the printer will last longer as well.

Val

Reply to
VManes

Wow, such mis information...

NO, HP Printers are NOT re-labeles Canons.

NO, HP Printers and Lexmark printers DO NOT use the same cartridges.

Reply to
wannandcan