Re: Dell Computers....was..... When You Hear The Heavy Accent

I agree with you there Paul, tho it is the same with many other printers. Lately, it seems you can buy a whole new printer, for only a dollar or two more than the cartridges!!
David - who thinks that it is the cartridges where the printer mfg really make their profits - in fact it would make good sense to GIVE printers away and then sit back and watch the profits roll in year after year as people pay exorbitant prices for replacements
Paul Mc> The only trouble I hav with them is the price of teh ink cartridges!!! >
Reply to
QuietDavid
That must be Lexmark's strategy! I bought a Z-31 that cost $39.95 and came with a set of cartridges. A replacement set of cartridges cost $50.00 for remanufactured!
-- Paul McIntosh
conversations
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
I have an HP, Compaq and Lexmark printer. All three take exactly the same cartridges. Sanyo also takes the same carteidges.
-- Paul McIntosh
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
But some OLD Lexmark, Canon, and IBM inkjets shared the same cartridges. On the Business printing side of the house. The IBMs were relabeled Lexmark's and the Canon shared the same Tech, but not the case.
Art
Reply to
Art Marsh
cartridges where the printer mfg really make
Oops, Too late. You can already have a color LaserJet for free! All you have to be able to do is buy a fixed amount of Ink per month on a 2 year contract. BTW: The black ink cartridges are free as well as the printer. And you must like the Tektronix Phaser line of printers.
Reply to
Art Marsh
Unless Lexmark changed their policy in the last year, the cartridges that came with the printer are the "Lite" cartridges, the replacement ones you buy have twice the ink.
Reply to
wannandcan
Well, I know that the Compaq and Sanyo are made by Lexmark, but I have never heard of an HP that uses the same cartridge as a Lexmark. What are the models of those two.
Reply to
wannandcan
Lexmark is the spinoff company of IBM's printer/typewriter lines. So, Lexmak = IBM.
Don't know about Canon ever sharing anything in common with other marks, but in late 90's Compaq sold some low-end relabled printers, either Epsons or Canons.
Val ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The difference between hearsay and heresy is that hearsay is the unsubstantiated statements we believe, and heresy is the unsubstantiated statements someone else believes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But some OLD Lexmark, Canon, and IBM inkjets shared the same cartridges. On the Business printing side of the house. The IBMs were relabeled Lexmark's and the Canon shared the same Tech, but not the case.
Art
Reply to
VManes
I've heard of that. an obvious ploy to get you to buy additional cartridges.... and so annoying. Compared to all the other costs involved, ink is probably not a big part of the equation..... I feel the same way about restaurants that serve small drinks, so you will probably by a second.
btw, what's with the x-posting...
Arne
=====================
Reply to
Arne
Val,
You are quite correct. The Lexmark line is a spinoff of IBM. Many of the early IBM desktop laser printer did use a Canon 'engine'. Not sure of the HP line. When the Lexington plant was spun off, they took the 'low end' printers at the time(23xx impact, Optra laser series...) IBM kept the high end stuff, and both agreed not to invade each other's 'turf' for 5 years. Both are now competitors, but there has been 're-badged' Lexmark stuff sold by IBM. IIRC, the IBM NP12 laser printer is a re-badged Xerox machine, that was made for Xerox by who knows who!
Jim Bernier
VManes wrote:
Reply to
Jim Bernier
I don't have it any more and don't remember the number. It was one of the cheap ones that came as a combo with my laptop about 5 years ago.
-- Paul McIntosh
Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Site Timeline