Re: Pete n' Poke

"Sunny_B" wrote in messag

> news:... > > I have a GP Pete n' Poke with a Saito 56 on it. I've never flown > parasol > > type winged airplane before and this one is really giving me fits. I > acts > > like it is under powered with the 56. Like it's hanging just ready t > stall, > > with no spare power for emergencies. Does any one fly this plane an > if so > > with what motor? Any suggestions will be appreciated. > > What prop are you using, and what RPM is the engine turning? I'm > wondering if the engine's not running right. > > A parasol-type wing will be a bit more floaty and draggy than what > you're probably used to. Get it up high and back off on the throttle, > just to see what happens. It may be that the airspeed difference > between 1/3 throttle and full throttle is a big fat zero. Cubs are > like that, IMHO. You can add all the throttle you want, but it ain't > goin' any faster...

It is actually the wing profile that's to blame on most of thes planes, as drag increases dramatically with speed, with planes that ha a thick, cambered airfoil - helps a bit if the wing's incidence i adjustable in flight, so that's how I'm going to make my Pete n' Poke!

Tord S Eriksson, tord At tord dot n

-- Tor

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tord's Profile:

this thread:

Tord

try putting in a little more downthrust.

hwoel

-- gwinh

this thread:

gwinhh

Hi,

I have a pete n poke I built myself a few years ago, didn't have time to fly it until now. So I put an OS .56 alpha engine on it, did the break-in on it as the instructions says. Checked the CG of the plane as Great Planes recommends: 98mm from the leading edge. I got it up in the air and "oh my goodness!!!" just almost impossible to fly, barely holding and seems like it is going to stall any second. The 56alpha though is WAY enough, hit the gaz and I can pretty much stabilize the bird vertically like some 3D guys do (got a 13x7 prop on it). So the great planes CG is bullcrap. I just switched my 108gr 4.8V 2Ah reception battery pack with a 308gr 6V 4Ah. The CG is now about 40mm form the leading edge. Will try this new setting when the wind calms down a bit and keep you posted.

Hope this will help some poor pilots like me.

Cheers.

Reply to
jokker