Re: the weirdest, most exciting things

What´s the weirdest rc guided flying thing you´ve ever seen? I´ve see > some

> flying witches, flying lawn mowers. Personally I´d like to build > flying > cow, please don´t ask why, I don´t know why. > > Also, last evening I went through a pile of old magazines, to sor > out > those to throw away and which ones, the goodies, to keep. One of th > keepers > is an issue of RCM & E (vol.41 issue 4) with an article on th > "Aeropter" > with vectored thrust, what a weird and wonderful bird! > > So, what´s the weirdest & wildest things you´ve seen? > > Cheers, Ken > Finland

This Aeropter was a design by a dear friend of mine, Sqd. Ldr. (ret'd John Crampton (a cold war flying ace), now in his 90's, if he's stil around.

He had designed a lot of planes through the years, almost all wit fixed slots, and so had the Aeropter - but the engine arrangement was simila to this one:

On John's Aeropter the entire engine assemblies, mounted on the tips o a shaft through the cabin roated and through a 110 degree arch.

Australian Peter Evans have added a nose wing, and twin tails, whil John's, if my memory serves me right, looked like Cessna 150, withou an engine in the nose. The shaft was mounted spot on the CG, so th batteries were in the extreme nose!

A guy how made a VTOL craft was Australian Don Incoll, who design a lo of weird (like the Ninja Star) and less weird planes (like the Horne Wasp, the father of all 3-D planes).

He had one design that took of vertically, and I think managed t convert to horizontal flight, but not the other way ....

Anyway, while in the middle off its developement he disappeared fro the net, and stopped answering mails, et cetera.

I think John and Don exchanged a few letters, after I establishe contact between the two.

Maybe got ill, tired, och died - nobody seems to know!

Tord S Eriksson, tord At tord dot nu

PS This is my own try at a STOL, which had adjustable wing incidence:

Very simple, but worked real nice till the engine failed on take-off ouch

-- Tor

this thread:

Tord

This vertical takeoff sport jet is pretty weird!

Geoff Sanders

Great stuff but I can't dl any of the movies - 404 errors :(

Reply to
Ed Forsythe